Sign in to follow this  
coatimundi01

Chicken fried javelina backstrap

Took the backstraps from the piggie I got on Sunday evening and decided to chicken fry them. Really simple, came out really good!

Pretty much any old chicken fried recipe should work. Make sure you cut off that silvery muscle film, a fillet knife worked perfectly. Then I cut the straps into about 1/2" slices and pound them to about 1/4" thick. Soak the pieces in milk (I used oat milk as my 5 year old is allergic to dairy) while you get the eggs and breading ready. Crack 3 eggs and best with some milk. Get a couple cups of flour on a plate and season to taste. I stayed simple and used salt, pepper, garlic powder, a little paprika, and a little cayenne pepper powder. Drain the backstrap cutlets, toss them in the flour, dip in the egg, and then toss in the flour again. Fry to a golden crisp and that's it!

From this:

post-11483-0-84367700-1389808390_thumb.jpg

post-11483-0-96108400-1389808463_thumb.jpg

post-11483-0-41995000-1389808514_thumb.jpg

To this:

post-11483-0-40680000-1389808586_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Good stuff! 'Chicken Fried' anything is usually good!!! ;)

To keep them from being chewy, maybe try pounding them a bit prior to breading/frying (if you didn't already)...... A little work with the meat-tenderizing hammer can work wonders on Chicken Fried food! Looks yummy!

Bon Apetite!!]

S.

:)

• Like 2

I usually make sausage from mine but that sure looks good. Thanks for sharing and I will have to try your recipe.

TJ

That looks great!

I like that you took a sequence of photos.

This is one of my favorite things about hunting, enjoying the table fare.

Thanks so much and keep enjoying your harvest!

• Like 1

Checked this post again, and suddenly the yogurt I had for breakfast just isn't quite cutting it! Sitting here at my desk with my stomach growling!!!! :D Thinking some chicken fried venison and eggs will be on the menu this weekend! ;)

Thanks for making me hungry!!

S.

:)