Sign in to follow this  
520HUNT

Arizona over ASU

ASU has one heck of a hockey team this year, but if you look who has a better history with their hockey program, Arizona wins:

In their 32 seasons of play ending with the 2010-2011 season, the Arizona IceCats had an overall record of 634-217-23. They won a National Championship (1985), appeared in eight Final Fours (84, 86, 87, 88, 91, 93, 94, 97) and ten Elite Eights.

• Like 1

Really??? do we even need to discuss the basketball programs at the Arizona Universities.

There is absolutely no comparison.... unless the comparison is between ASU and NAU. Since 2000 ASU has appeared ONE more time than NAU in NCAA Basketball Tournament.

• Like 2

The only reason people watch Hockey in Tucson is when its ASU @ UofA because the fights rock, and they serve beer because its off campus. Go Cats Bear Down, That was a woopin on the scumdevils...love it every time it happen. Which is more times than not in every sport. "Arizona owned Omaha" I don't think ASU has ever gone through the college world series without losing a game.

I am one of those weird guys that cheers for both. I cheer for all Az. teams in everthing as We don't get no pub. from the east coast media , who don't know chit about the west coast teams. I have been like that since I moved to AZ. in 1977 from PA. Iv'e allways thought the Devils had a better football program, even in the years ASU lost to Uof A. My sport of basketball, that a different story. The early 80's Basketball team ASU had under Ned Wulk will never be duplicated in AZ. or any where maybe as far as talent and NBA players go. Since then it's been all U of A . Not even close Devil fan , and My daughter is a ASU grad. I wish ASU had a program like U of A Gotta call a Spade a Spade. Why ASU can not recruit to Tempe is beyond Me. WHY whould Any one wanna go to North Nogales U. I guess they can't see the city , but they can se the hoop. In the last 30 years I have considered U of A as one of the top 5-6 programs in the country, They have put as many good players in the pro's as any school. Time for Herb to go. They should have brought in Lionel Hollins years ago, or Doug Collins Who can,t coach pro's but whould of been a great collage coach.. He spends a lot of time there any way. I hope U of A can go undefeated. There's a chance...The Tourny. That's another story....BOB!

• Like 1

I'm with you Nature Bob. I went to UofA, as did my wife. If I had it to do over, we probably both would have gone NAU or ASU. I've got sons coming up on college age, and I'd be really happy to see them and any of our state schools. I tend to cheer on any AZ school including ASU. One of my close buddies has a kid on the ASU football team, so I love to see them do well.

UofA has a tough time with football, always have, and I don't see that turning around. Their basketball and baseball programs tend to have more strength and consistency. Gotta say tho, when it comes to really watching fun sports, I really enjoy the ice-cats. Whether they win or lose, they always put on a show.

During my college days, I attended both Universities. However, I was so busy studying that I didn't follow sports very well at either location. Nonetheless, I did tutor Brian Williams in 89 or 90 at the U of A and reveled in the glory of our awesome basketball team that consisted of Sean Rooks, Sean Elliot, Brian Williams, Matt Otthick, and another Matt. Other names escape me, but I recall how our entire campus was wired with the energy of a winning team. We had a great team back then, and this current U of A squad is more than capable of bringing back those glory days.

Not the biggest die hard basketball fan but AZ college basketball should be a good story over the next 5-6 years. Yes, UofA will have the premiere program. However; ASU should be getting a new coach and putting some money into the arena. Grand Canyon could be a really great story as well. I think Colangelo knows a little about the sport from college on up.

Oh yeah and somehow the Suns keep finding ways to win, gotta wonder what Hornacek will be able to do with the crazy number of draft picks the Suns have socked away . AZ should be a much better state for basketball all the way around going forward.