36Bjunkie

Cal. Question

I'm looking in to buying a gun for my 10year old son something for Deer/Elk.. I was looking at a 7m08. I need something with enough knock down power for elk and flat enough for coues without kicking his a$$... What are your thoughts ???

My nephew shot an elk this past season with a 250 savage I put together for him. Less kick than a 243 and it did the job no problem with a 115 berger. 260 is also a good choice.

7/08 is a good choice. Bullet weights range from 120 to 175 grains. 120 and 140 should be relatively light on recoil. Do you reload?

• Like 1

7mm/08 is great for kids. My sister shot a bull with that caliber on an early hunt when she was ten when she weighed about 50 pounds and didn't hurt her at all. My friend reloads for one and when you look at the ballistics it's pretty amazing what you get for the small amount of kick. I'd go with the 7mm/08

• Like 2

My nephew shot an elk this past season with a 250 savage I put together for him. Less kick than a 243 and it did the job no problem with a 115 berger. 260 is also a good choice.

Worst suggestion ever

• Like 1

Guest wdenike

Worst suggestion ever

That's some funny stuff right there!!!!! And the .250 and the .243 will just keep killin stuff the critics say they can't!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :o :o

Take care, Willie

• Like 5

I don't reload yet... i was going to get my reloader but my son wanted to start hunting and there went that plan for awhile... its not cheap to outfit a kid for hunting . I got him a 870 express 20ga youth model for birds a sig 516 predators now getting him a Deer/ elk gun .. so my reloader got put on hold till next year..

I've looked at the 25-06 also but it doesn't seem to have the punch i want from what I've read.The 270 is a great round but whats the difference in recoil between the 7-08 and the .270? I just don't want to scare him with to much recoil i have a 7mm but that's way to much for a 80lb kid. And thanks for all the advice ...

I would say fit is important. a brake will help especially if you go with the 7-08. i normally say a .243, unless you are going to hunt elk a lot and have nothing he could use in the case that he get s drawn for that. .