Sign in to follow this  
Buckhunter

Borderland Buffalo Success!!

If your thinking about hunting Buffalo without having to draw a tag look no further. Call Matt with Borderlandadventures. He has a true Buffalo hunt. Not a pasture killing like most hunts. I left my house in Queen Creek on Friday night. I drove straight through to Folsom, NM. Saw lots of game everywhere. Deer, Antelope, Turkey, Elk, and Buffalo. Got to the ranch house around 9 am. Got my bow and we headed up the hill. I was sorta surprised at how spooky the Buffalo once we found them. With a storm fast approaching they didn't hang out long enough for another stalk. That night it snowed 2 inches and dropped to 5 degrees. We had high hopes of finding them right away by cutting tracks. NOT THE CASE. All day walking canyons and driving the plateu we never saw a track. We ate good sunday night and went to bed. Monday we found the tracks and were within 50 yards and they saw us and dropped into a canyon. I elected to switch to my rifle after watching them put 300 yards between us in a flash. We cut them off and set up along some trees and finally got them within 100 yards. Picked out a bull and two shots later we had a nice Buffalo on the ground. Thanks to Matt and J.R. for a real and fun Buffalo hunt. I shot a 2-3 year old bull and got 265 pounds of deboned meat. 8 foot square rug and a cool euro skull mount. Side note. The house we stayed in was a stone house built in 1905. Lots of history on that ranch. Thanks for reading.

post-2044-0-12757500-1394154185_thumb.jpg

post-2044-0-11383500-1394154220_thumb.jpg

post-2044-0-88563900-1394154258_thumb.jpg

post-2044-0-72180500-1394154301_thumb.jpg

post-2044-0-76740300-1394154348_thumb.jpg

post-2044-0-98351000-1394154387_thumb.jpg

post-2044-0-70452000-1394154436_thumb.jpg

post-2044-0-53629600-1394154495_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Sweet bull! What plans do you have for it's hide?

That sounds like a great solution and smart alternative to waiting to draw here in Az.

I'm happy you made the very best of it. I enjoy the pictures you took of all the game and scenery.

It only solidifies how much more there was to the hunt. Any photos of the old house?

Congratulations on your bull. Now you have my wheels turning!

• Like 1

That sounds like a great hunt, someday I hope to take a beautiful bison like that. When I do, I will be calling Matt, he runs a class operation. Congratulations on your bull!

Wow! What a great hunt, looks like some great memories were made on that one.

Are the hunts really expensive, just ballpark I know you aren't the outfitter.

Me too..

$? ballpark.

Who does the butchering, etc?

Do they have equipment to move he bull once he is down?

More D

Awsome hunt! Thanks for sharing. Yes more info on the outfitter. I found elk and antelope on their website but nothing about buffalo.

He's still on the ranch. No cell reception. They do have a loader to haul it down the mountain. JR and I broke it down on top and loaded it in the truck. There is a processor in the next town which is around 50 miles. I deboned mine and brought it back in three Canyon Coolers. Von Hansen's in Chandler have it now. This hunt is affordable. I would send Matt an email or voicemail with contact for prices. I left late at night when the Mathews crew showed up. Forgot to get pics of the house.

I'm suprised you only got 265 pounds of meet! I would have thought you would get 800+ pounds. Sounds like you had a great time! I'm hoping to go on a Buffalo hunt very soon.

Adam