Sign in to follow this  
Evinruud

Anyone concerned about this WEATHER

Hate to be a Debby Downer. But if I knew that AZ's moisture level was going to be this low back when I applied, I would have put in for a bonus point. I am praying that I do not draw a tag this year. This is a DROUGHT. If we don't get weather flowing over this state by the end of March it probably wont happen. At that point it will be really rough during the crucial antler growth time. If you do draw don't panic, I am sure there will still be large bulls harvested but, the big bulls harvested this year will be bulls that have unbelievable genetics.

Still lots of water out there and we got a good snow last weekend. Definitely gonna hurt them a little I would say but there will still be some great bulls taken. Glad I drew last year though ;) wouldn't complain if I did it again this year though!

Im really not worried about the moisture. Im more worried about the dumb asses that have to have a campfire. If it looks dfy dont build a fire but ya it would be nice to get some more moisture

• Like 6

This drought won't affect me cause I only shoot spike bulls with velvet still on the horns. I heard the velvet gets a nice rich color during dry years like this. Color phase velvet bulls, what a deal.

• Like 2

I am not concerned, every single time I've been drawn it was a drought year, and I had the best time ever in the field.... bugles, rutting, slinging arrows..... there truly is nothing better!

• Like 4

Whats your biggest bull you have taken, if it's bigger then 370 and you want bigger, it might be tough hunt.

How many bonus points do you have are you hunting archery or early season rifle bull,there are some really wet areas

even with the lack of snow.what unit did you apply for.this will make a difference.

• Like 1

IMHO so far I do not believe this year's extremely mild winter has negatively affected horn growth. I saw plenty of new green grass coming up last week which the elk were enjoying. The key will be the next 8 weeks. Hopefully we get one more big snow storm in March which would be normal, and then a couple of good rain/snow storms in April. Precipitation in May is always a bonus. Stay tuned!

• Like 1

It's horribly dry out there....please skip having a campfire this summer! Let's not have another Wallow fire! If you do have a campfire, dump tons of water on it when you leave, please!

• Like 5

Whats your biggest bull you have taken, if it's bigger then 370 and you want bigger, it might be tough hunt.

How many bonus points do you have are you hunting archery or early season rifle bull,there are some really wet areas

even with the lack of snow.what unit did you apply for.this will make a difference.

Im lookin for 400 inchers.

post-9812-0-68844800-1394554971_thumb.jpg

post-9812-0-18073800-1394554998_thumb.jpg

I'm good with 10 inches less than that. It's going to be tough. Nice bull evanator, looks just as big in person.

Part of the mild winter was/is higher than average temps. When it's really cold, elk spend a lot of energy just fighting off the cold. Winter is not exactly an easy time for wildlife... but the mild winter will probably have elk in better body condition, sooner than normal which = bigger antlers.

Now if we could just get a little more precipitation...

• Like 1

Experience has taught me not to worry because I probably wont be drawn and there are always great hunters who pull out monster bulls regardless of precipitation levels haha

I agree though....it's dry out there

• Like 2

I am not too worried about the drought just hope I get drawn this year to end my drought of not getting drawn. As far as camp fires i only take my Propane Fire Pit. This way I don't have to worry about staying up to make sure the fire is out. Just turn it off and go to bed and can be used on no burn restrictions.