Sign in to follow this  
Norteno

Shot new arrows, not what I expected ?

After running through the first dozen arrows of my bow hunting endeavor I decided to pick up some higher quality arrows from a member on this site. I finally got out to shoot them and was surprised by the results.

Old Arrows: Vital Impact 400 (sportsmans warehouse) 7.4 GPI??

29.0" length

358 grains total (100gr tip)

2" straight fletched

New Arrows: Easton Bloodline 400, 7.7 GPI

27.5" length

375 grains total (100 gr tip)

2" helical fletched blazers

Bow set-up: 27.5" draw, 60-62 lbs, Diamond The Rock, IBO 318fps

I recently went from shooting 59 lbs and increased the weight on my bow one full revolution on each limb. I am guessing at the 60-62 lbs right now. Prior to this I was grouping really well out to 60yds with the Vital Impacts. When I shot at the range I was not surprised to see my old arrows shooting high with the increased draw weight, but the Easton Bloodlines were shooting low. I weighed the arrows at work on a precision gram scale to make sure my numbers were correct. I am out of form so I was all over the place as well and just getting used to the increased draw weight.

Should there be that much of a difference in 17 grains total or 1.5" length?

I expected more out of the bloodlines and was hoping to reach our further than 60 yds, but now I'm hesitant in even going to a heavier arrow for hunting deer or elk.

On another note, this may all change if I go out and purchase a "speed bow" as opposed to my intro-to-archery Diamond. I'm a newbie when it comes to archery so don't rail on me too hard if I am doing something wrong, but I'll take any constructive criticism I can get.

30yds 50yds 60yds

post-5874-0-26696700-1397609187.jpg

post-5874-0-68715000-1397609193.jpg

post-5874-0-54038800-1397609200.jpg

Good article covering your question.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/carbon_arrows/hunting_arrows_selection_guide_chapter_5.htm

The chart shows a 2.5" drop at 30 yards for every 50grains (@ 60lbs). So I would guess you would be about an inch or so and you look like you were close to 3" drop. Must be something else going on, spine flexing and losing speed? Not sure wait for on of the experts to chime in.

I recognize those backdrops! Meet you there Saturday at 6 am!

Saturday 6am! Maybe when it's 115 out. 530pm after work is fine for me right now. I'm really liking those carpet targets. Really easy to pull arrows out of.

Are you spined correctly?

Are the arrows same diameter, they could be sitting in a different spot on the rest thus affecting flight...

Your should be worried at what groups best not at the difference between arrows. Rarely will different arrows have the same impact point. I would suggest picking an arrow shooting it and adjusting your set up as long as you're grouping good.

Paper tune..... walk back tuning.....broad head tunning

• Like 1

Are you spined correctly?

Are the arrows same diameter, they could be sitting in a different spot on the rest thus affecting flight...

Your should be worried at what groups best not at the difference between arrows. Rarely will different arrows have the same impact point. I would suggest picking an arrow shooting it and adjusting your set up as long as you're grouping good.

Paper tune..... walk back tuning.....broad head tunning

The bloodlines are a smaller diameter which means it starts out pointing down on my drop away rest. I bet that is a lot of the reason right there! I'll continue shooting both, but from day 1 looks like the bloodlines group better. I'll also start over and do walk back tuning when I have the range to myself. Hopefully I'll get out tomorrow

• Like 1

I had the same problem when I tried out 350 and 400 spine arrows with my set up. The 400 grouped better, so I got rid of the 350's and sighted in with my 400's. Didn't really tune my bow at all, simply made adjustments with my sight and that took care of everything...until I tried different broadheads, which messed my groups up again.

I agree....stick to one arrow and one broadhead and work with it until it performs to your expectations.

have you taken it to a bow shop and have it reset up. had the same problem when i switch from easton 25/12 xx75 otherwise none as lincoln logs and changed to fullmetal jackets , and found i was chaseing the arrow, bow shop tunned her right up

Just my thoughts but I think you have 2 things coming into play, one is spine and the other is is FOC. You have a higher FOC and stiffer spine with your Vital impacts. When you went to the Bloodline you shortened the arrow, lower FOC and you also went with a heavier arrow for the same spine and weakened it even more by cranking up your bow.

GBA

I shoot bloodline 400 also exact same arrow gr except with lumenocks I had 6 factory fletched straight and 6 that I fletched my self with an AZ ez fletch that has a good helical and noticed a big diff in grouping and elevation

I shoot bloodline 400 also exact same arrow gr except with lumenocks I had 6 factory fletched straight and 6 that I fletched my self with an AZ ez fletch that has a good helical and noticed a big diff in grouping and elevation

So you are saying the the helical fletch made a noticable difference? Which ones did you settle on?

My helical s are much more accurate they group awesome the straight fletched were good just not as tight of a group... as for fps they say u maybe lose 2 to 5 fps compared to a straight fletch what a helical arrow does is help it stabilize quicker from the arrow whipping and flexing just keep shootn what best suits u and ur set up also practice with ur broad heads see what they fly best with cause my 3d set up is totally diff then what I hunt with... and all out the same bow

• Like 1