Sign in to follow this  
az41mag

Thoughts on the last 2 weeks of spring turkey hunting

I drew an early turkey tag this year and wasn't able to get a bird on the first week, (came really close, but that's a different story). Extremely windy days and even some snow made things a little challenging. So I'm debating whether to make another trip up north to make another attempt to fill my turkey tag. I'm curious what kind of success others have had during that last 2 week period of the turkey hunts? Does it get very crowded on those last 2 weeks since it's open to the juniors, early, and late tag holders? Will the toms still be gobbling? I know that typically the early hunt has the advantage of taking the less experienced two year old birds, but since I'm still kind of new to turkey hunting any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I had the early tag last year and killed a bird on the first day back after the break. He was chasing a hen gobbling his head off. So, yeah it can still happen. I only encountered one other group of people out there. I'll be out in 6A for archery Friday to give it a try.

Don't give up,They will still be going at it some where. Cover ground untill You find some. ......BOB!

Thinking of heading out too. It's too bad that an OTC archery tag for late spring can't be carried over to the fall OTC archery hunt if unfilled. That would make it a no-brainer (and probably mean more tags sold for AZGFD). Just a thought.

Coach, I thought it could be, just like an OTC archery deer tag. Now I'll have to check the OTC tag I purchased from the AZGD Office.

It absolutely CAN be carried over just like all non-permit tags it is valid for all open OTC hunts within that calendar year.

When is the best time to hunt? ANYTIME YOU CAN! Those spring permits are hard to get ... go. I have had good success in both hunts and even the third weekend. Pray for less wind.

• Like 1

I think that it's less crowded on the last two weeks for sure. I got my bird 3 days ago on Saturday morning, and they were still gobbling pretty good then. That same morning I heard birds gobbling from three different ridges and hills. Sunday I went out with my dad who still had a tag, and they were gobbling on the roost but quit once they hit the ground. I have a friend that has gotten them on the very last day more than one time, so you never know. The weather is supposed to be better this weekend also. You should go, because it could happen.

I drew a late tag and couldn't get out until this week...so I'll be there and hope they're still talking! Either way I'm out there enjoying it and giving it a try...much better than working!

I was just up this last weekend and they were talking in the morning. We were able to locate birds but getting them to come in was another story. Just couldn't make it happen. The wind didn't really affect us much. But the coyotes in the area did. We called in coyotes two consecutive mornings while turkey calling.

toms were together last weekend where i was at. they may split up for the second breed

Unit one had birds and I was within 75 yards twice and had the gobbler talking back to me. Figured it was like the early hunt and he was dead meat. NOT. The hens were going crazy and the big boys just would not leave them to come down to me.