BOHNTR

Your Thoughts??? (pic)

STUD for sure. Nice beams, nice eye guards, nice 2nds.

I think another way of approaching this that might be a little bit easier is to ask yourself if would be happy putting your tag on this buck.

If you and all of us experts think this buck is a 112" class buck, then you shoot him and find out he is a 104" buck are you going to be disappointed?

Good luck!

Thats a good point.

To me, that buck has 'the look' regardless of score. I love the height, and how hard the beams turn in.

I guess if this is the price is right, I have clearly failed in my judgement. But, I just can't see how so many guesses are in the 105 range. What did you come up with a score for him? I think that buck is incredible and I can't wait for the day I shoot a buck where the tips of the main beams are almost touching!

Not to mention a 4-5" eye guard on the left side. Lets face it though, that angle is not the best to judge for an accurate score.

Now to classify him in one of the three classes (dink, shooter, and qhgijfgjhfgwjf), he falls very very high in the shooter category, near the qhgijfgjhfgwjf category.

Shoot him. Ask questions later.

My best guess right antler

16 beam

4 eye guard

6 G2

5 G3

14 mass (high estimate)

45 total

If doubled 90 with a 13 spread gets you 103, but the left antler is smaller because of the G3.

This is a buck I killed in Mexico. Same type of shape(high and tight). Beams almost touch and are 17. He has 10 inch G2s, a 9 inch G3 on the left, I think the right G3 is 7 and has a 2 inch G4. Grosses 118. He has such long points that he makes back up what he lost on width.

post-553-0-62514300-1399411699_thumb.jpg

I personally don't see 110 anywhere on that buck. I could be wrong BUT If they are narrow they HAVE to have soooooo much going on in points and mass to make up for it like my example above.

You have to keep a level head and always revert back to what average coues antler measurements are. Your average mature buck is going to have 15-16 inch beams, 4 to 6 inch points, 13.5 to 14 inches of mass, 13 to 15 inside spread. It takes a special deer to get to 110 or bigger. They have to have something exceptional to crest that 110 mark. Anything (like a short G3, narrow spread) is going to bump them way back off.

• Like 2

Other thing to consider is the view from behind. Bucks/bulls always look bigger from behind.

• Like 1

I give him slightly more on G2's and beams than Becker and slightly less on mass. 105 and I figured I was conservative. Does not look like a 110 buck to me, but I would bet he is over 105... But as said above, if I liked him I would shoot him and not care too much about the score.

I'm thinking 102. I try to judge mature or not and only pursue mature bucks. The score is a added bonus. That buck is mature with a big body and I would have a hard time passing on him. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Just to clarify some things, I would have sent an arrow his way in a heartbeat if I would have had a valid tag, but I arrowed a mule deer a few days before and was waiting for January 1st to hunt again. Thought I'd sit at this water hole to see what was coming in and do a bit of scouting......and BAAM here's what came in. For this ol' bowhunter, this buck would have been a bow and arrow trophy of a lifetime. After the photo was taken, my hunting buddies asked me what I thought he'd score. I estimated him to net near the 102-105" range, based on the time I had to study him in my binos and quickly calculate some measurements. But, I wanted to share it with you folks and get your take as well.......to make sure I wasn't over/under estimating him. I let my hunting partner (who's never arrowed a Coues) sit this hole for several days and he never appeared again, as he was on the prowl looking for does. Hopefully, I will have another encounter with him next year and I'll have an un-punched tag in my pocket. :)

a shooter buck " fer sure"

try locating a camera on the rocks so it'll get some better frontal pics as he drinks - just a thought

A coues buck looking away always seems bigger.... so my guess would be 105-108 gross respectively.... hes got great mass, but is not very wide.... when a coues buck doesn't have a wide spread, it makes the main beams seem longer as well.... I sure wouldn't pass on a buck like that... looks like a real healthy buck.... he will be 7-10 inches bigger in 2014... hope you get him

I dont quite think he makes the 110" mark either but, I think hes around the 105" arena, with that said I believe he will be over the 110" mark this fall.

great buck.