clb

Aoudad/ Barbary sheep in arizona

I think it is unlikely that they came over from NM. I have never heard of them being seen West of the Rio Grande in the Southern half of NM. As far as I know they come the closest to AZ up in the NW quadrant of NM where they are around Mt. Taylor.

How the heck did they get here? Are they that migratory?

it's actually not very far from their home range.
The Barbary sheep (Ammotragus lervia) is a species of caprid (goat-antelope) native to rocky mountains in North Africa. Az is kinda far from their home range...
  • Like 4

I thought by now thered be a few more aoudad in the dirt. Did anyone else head down to try and kill one?

Id love to but loose lips sink ships...

These guys "apparently" have them on their private ranch "special order" up in 18A on I-40. http://fortrockhunting.com/about-

ranch.html

What are the legalities of an operation like this in AZ? Obviously high fence. I know there is or was a similar deal down in Cordes that was always having "issues" with escapes. Apologies for derailing the thread.

Maybe a couple broke out and hitchhiked down south...

These guys "apparently" have them on their private ranch "special order" up in 18A on I-40. http://fortrockhunting.com/about-ranch.html

Maybe a couple broke out and hitchhiked down south...

One of the people I work with went with her sister to the ranch apparently they have three pieces of property. They hunted the middle section which is between eastbound and westbound I40. They had fun bowhunting and took a texas dall and an mouflan I think.

• Like 1

They are everywhere here in Texas, congrats, that's an awesome kill.

Why doesn't game and fish bring in more animals like this instead of wolves and grizzly bears.

• Like 2

Why doesn't game and fish bring in more animals like this instead of wolves and grizzly bears.

That would be Awesome!!!!!

javalina are not native here.game and fish don't seam to have a problem with them.

• Like 1