Sign in to follow this  
andrewmilich

WTB: Youth rifle for deer

I am looking to get my son his first rifle for deer hunting this fall. He just turned 12. Anybody have anything not super expensive, as $ is the biggest consideration. what would get the job done? looking for a .243 probably

thanks

Andy

If nothing turns up look for a used savage axis in .243 youth or *regular and cut it.. cheap gun bolt little sticky but they can shoooooot. used w/scope $250-$300. i heve put few newbies in these with gr8 success and buddy brags on his kids 7-08 axis with boyds stock on it all the time and his was $199 on new on sale no scope

• Like 1

I have an old savage 30-06 . I cut the stock to accommodate little hunters. $200 Obo/trade??? Call for details 928-606-6101

do you have any pictures and what are you interested in trading?

If nothing turns up look for a used savage axis in .243 youth or *regular and cut it.. cheap gun bolt little sticky but they can shoooooot. used w/scope $250-$300. i heve put few newbies in these with gr8 success and buddy brags on his kids 7-08 axis with boyds stock on it all the time and his was $199 on new on sale no scope

Do you have site suggestions for used guns

Do you have site suggestions for used guns
Sent you a pm. also the ruger americans are crazy affordable/ i have no experience with them
  • Like 1

For a first timer I would go with a 25-06, 243. The ruger American I shot was a little rough on the bolt but other then that it shot really good. Jmo

• Like 1

I have an old savage 30-06 . I cut the stock to accommodate little hunters. $200 Obo/trade??? Call for details 928-606-6101

I think this is a superb option, for a first timer a $200 rifle that if he drops/scratches wont make your heart bleed.

not to mention the cartridge, remington makes light recoiling ammo that shouldnt break his shoulder and I have found that those savages are quite acccurate.

I bought my son a brand new remington 700 youth left hand .243 rifle last year for his coues hunt and topped it with a leupold 3.5x10 with the cds and let me tell you, he knocked that gun over more times than I care to admit putting scratches on the rifle and scope...almost made me sick but now when I look at those scratches it makes my mind wander back to a few certain rockpiles there out in the desert. Lol

anyway for $200 you can't go wrong and im not even a savage fan.

• Like 2

Titanium700 i still have my first 700 in .243 and my scratches along with some from both my kids and from friends kids are still on it and God Willing my newest kiddo will scratch her too. :)

And bump for the low recoil ammo i heard it makes a 30-06 pretty sweet

• Like 1

7-08 is the same case as a .243 with a bigger bullet. More versatile in my opinion. Same with the .260. And you can't go wrong with the parent case ... a good ole .308.

• Like 3

7-08 is the same case as a .243 with a bigger bullet. More versatile in my opinion. Same with the .260. And you can't go wrong with the parent case ... a good ole .308.

The 7-08 would be a great elk and deer rifle for him (.284 bullet). IMO the .243 might be pushing it a little for elk. Some use it for elk, I personally wouldn't.

• Like 1

My first carry rifle was an ithica lever action single shot .22, it had been passed down thru all my cousins and me. It taught us how to keep a gun nice and clean (while we beat up that .22) to this date I've given it to 3 friends for their kids and should be getting it back within the year I think? All of us started around ages 3-5. If you've had your son shooting for a length of time I'd recommend any non mag rifle from .243 to 06. If he's a big boy and has practice, might as well try and find anything affordable. I started with a .270 went to an 06, 300 win mag, etc. now I'm back to my .243.

You could always put a break on that 30-06......I bet it would be pretty sweet for a young hunter!

I agree that the .30-06 with a brake is a great option. Even without the brake, the low-recoil stuff is amazing. It will be a long-lasting rifle, too.

I'll second the 7mm-08 option. My 10 year-old daughter has been shooting one for a year now. Hers has a brake on it and she absolutely loves it. It is the Savage Axis youth model and was under $400 with a scope. They are barely over $300 with the scope. My only complaint about that rifle is the factory trigger (very rough), but we recently had a Timney put in and she LOVES it! Of course, like sjvcon says, can't beat the .308, either!