Sign in to follow this  
AZLance

if you have the spring archery bear tag, you had better hurry up!

I heard today from a reliable source that the Forests will close very soon and your tag will be worthless...

Which forests, or which units will be affected?

Forest closing, what, why?

Extreme fire danger. They closed all AZ forests 3 years ago and a bunch of guys with spring bear tags were left with no where to hunt.

What I was told is that the Coronado and the Coconino were already in the planning stages and it is just a matter of time. Last time they did it, a couple of forests closed, then the rest followed suit quickly after. Pray for rain!

I was very upset, as it burned my tag. I felt that I was owed for tag reimbursement, as well as scouting trip gas and food that invested into my hunt as well. Can't remember if I drove around a barricade or not, but felt robbed of being unable to use our tax payers' supported land.

I also experienced G&F closing down half of unit 22 for "bear danger" instead of welcoming bear hunters with tags to come forth and attempt to end the problem!

• Like 4

I agree. Last year I was happy they didn't close down all. Camped without a fire, no big deal, done that many times before. I'd be happier if they could have more patrols fining people having camp fires, or, what is this thing we call the economy? Don't get me wrong, but if so many people weren't busy with jobs, maybe they could actually put some time, buckets, and water into the forest fires. More companies should think about putting their employees to good volunteer time fighting fires. Imagine if America's work force actually spent part of their time saving our forests. But what's more important, big business or our forests? I see folks arguments wanting the forest close down. But how about we put more into prevention and preventing stupidity, as well as big penalties?

I have lived in this state long enough to accept this as a fact of life. There are just too many DUMB people out there and it's too dang risky to leave our forests in their hands. Just look at the way these jack wagons leave the forests after a holiday weekend.

Yes a lot more needs to be done to maintain the forests and prevent build up of fuels but in the end, the general public just has too many slobs in it who won't play by the rules.

• Like 8

I'm one of those guys who has a spring bear tag. I would be disappointed if I don't get to sit in my stand enough and kill one, but I understand the forrest is more important than me fIlling my tag!

• Like 5

I guess the anger or frustration rises with one's addiction. An annual bear hunt for me is personally more valued than an early rifle bull hunt in unit 10! I even chose to burn a general antelope tag about 20 years ago to go calling for bear instead. I have lived here all my live, so I too accept the closing of forests; however, that does not mean I like it or agree with it. I simply don't approve of any entity infringing on my liberties or making choices that negatively affects my Constitutional guarantee to pursue what makes me happy. Thus, I will also pray for rain!!

• Like 2

I'm another one that is glad they are closing the forest. I have witnessed and been part of two evacuations due to man caused fires and it is not something I want to go through again. Fortunately, I live in the white mountains and our forest have already cooked.

• Like 1

I just hope the closure lasts thru the early elk hunts... can't wait to see all the people calling for closures to change their mind and start complaining about their rights being violated.

• Like 3

I dont see how its legal. I understand them wanting to shut it down but I have some serious issues with it. this land is my land and your land mean there's a song about it. like I said in the other post what if we just use the Forest Service money to clean up the forest?

You guys don't get it. It really, really sucks when your everyday life is completely altered when a couple of absent minded valley/Tucson residents forgets to put out a fire(wallow) or a camera team wants to catch the dramatic effect of a stranded motorist rescue (chedeski). AZKiller with that train of thought go to the nearest military base and jump the fence the public owns that too.

• Like 5