ctracingraptor

5B november rifle

I drew the black friday tag for 5b, i've hunted many animals in az, but this will be my first elk tag, and i am so excited. I am familiar with the unit, but need some help. I plan to do alot of scouting up to my hunt date. I was checking out my unit this past weekend, and noticed obviously it was extremely dry. Found some elk in the unit, but found a large herd in 5A they were rather close to the highway. Only thing i can think of is there are staying south for water, i am sure they will move alot from now till thanksgiving. Any help from anyone one whether or not i should stay in the northern or southern unit? Even if anyone could provide me with advice or get me started in the right direction.. Thanks in advance

A lot will change between now and late November! That unit holds elk in just about any place you go! Don't be surprised when opening day roles around and there are hunters everywhere. Try and find a nasty place that most people wont go to where you can glass a little or ambush a bull! Stay positive and hunt hard the whole week, the crowd usually dies down after the weekend.

• Like 3

Like most units, 5B will receive a lot of hunter pressure. And as AZwest16 advised, the picture will change completely come fall and then change again by the time your late hunt rolls around. If it were me, I would be hunting the north edge of Anderson Mesa. Focus on the juniper and pinion just off the top and on down to the wide open plains. Look in the deep canyons feeding out to the north. Lots of elk go there to escape the pressure.

• Like 2

That would be another good topic of debate, should i stay in the pines or head out to the juniper and pinions? I'm very comfortable shooting to 500 yards, and am slowing pushing further past that.

Two buddies and I have the same tag. I've hunted elk in 4A, 4B and 22N, but I'm not familiar with 5B N&S. Made a overnighter this weekend just to start learning the unit. I was on 2 bulls within a couple hours of arriving. Of course, like AZwest16 and azsugarbear said, and from my own painful personal experience, where the elk are June through October doesn't mean a thing come late November. Not dry anymore, :) poured for 2 hours straight Saturday evening, and had lightening cracking directly overhead. Had fresh elk tracks 20 yards from my tent in the morning. This seems to be a trend with me; I find a good camp spot and end up in elk. (I ended up filling my cow tag 100 yards from camp last year :rolleyes: ). All that rain made a lot of mud, had to clean out my wheel wells a couple of times. Lots of fresh sign in the area I was in, and spotted a small bull mid morning yesterday.

If anyone has any insights they care to share, I sure would appreciate it.

Scouting a new area this early is generally getting a good lay of the land. Learning the roads, canyons, meadows, water, etc. Then look at the map / google earth and find new areas to look at the next trip. Repeat as often as you can. By the time the hunt rolls around you will have a pretty good idea.

I love learning new areas.

5b is an awesome unit. I wouldn't be surprised if you herd bugeling in Nov. ...lol tons of elk in the southern portion just walk a few miles off the roads and you'll find em no problemo

On 7/29/2014 at 6:41 PM, buffhunter said:

5b is an awesome unit. I wouldn't be surprised if you herd bugeling in Nov. ...lol tons of elk in the southern portion just walk a few miles off the roads and you'll find em no problemo

Few miles off the road? ....you’ll cross 3 roads lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thefithunter said:

Drew the 5B late rifle tag this year and it will be my first elk hunt that I have a tag. I know this thread is a bit old but any info, suggestions, or experience on how you’re guys hunts? 

There were a ton of bulls walking around during the early archery hunt. One less now

• Like 3

Thanks to the couple guys that PM’d me! Had a tough hunt as it was a struggle to turn up water or elk with only 1 full day of scouting before the hunt. finally turned up 2 bulls feeding together the evening of the third day at about 300 yards. Couldn’t get a clear shot at the bigger of the two so I slipped in for a shot and well I ended up getting a bit closer than I expected.... 30 yards😂 guess I should’ve brought the Bow! Anyways the 300 did it’s job and I wrapped my tag on my very first Bull! 

1571DC93-57A1-4F50-B658-6FB871597963.jpeg

• Like 17

Very nice work! That’s a really cool bull, wish my first was that big.

And thanks for coming back and reporting on it. It’s always great to hear how guys do on their hunts.

• Like 1