Sign in to follow this  
singleshot

Gould Nuggets

I read somewhere that a first years hens chicks have a low survival rate, compared to every year after. I passed a hen this morning laying in the bar ditch with her head flat in the dirt. I got out of the truck and walked back to look at her thinking she had been run over. At about ten feet she got up and putted off a short ways. She was laying on these newborns, probably a day old about the size of tennis balls. When I drove off she came back and rounded them up and led them off the road.

post-958-0-39791200-1403062535_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Really cool picture! Thanks for sharing.

i think i see my next goulds :P

I was thinking the same thing, but if I drew another goulds tag I might be banned from the site or assassinated by Big Tub. :)

Brian

• Like 1

According to AGFD, first year hens in Arizona don't lay eggs (unlike in other parts of the country). So they don't start laying until their second year.

Neat find! Last time I found some newborn turkey poults I was able to get some nice pics because they just hide perfectly still and don't move once the momma has walked off putting/alarm calling.

Thanks for posting the pic!

Very cool. When I lived in TN, I had hens that would nest in the same places every year. Loved watching the eggs turn into cotton balls, then into mobile chicks. Had one hen that always had them about 40 yards from my back door. Very entertaining from the pool deck when they were cruising around.