Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

*Monster Goat in the Dirt* 2014 Antelope Hunt

Sounds like a great and productive trip Flatlander! Thanks for sharing it and the pictures with us.

Hunt harder must have some kind of sixth sense for judging horn. The intact side went 82.5" (including the 3" extra). So if left matched right, which it doesn't, that much I can see, but if it did and we added a 24" spread it would put the total at 189". By far my best pickup.

Well this weekend was another week of bench and map work. I was able to get out and shoot the muzzy at 200 yds this week. While at the range I learned the importance of checking and double checking equipment when dealing with a muzzleloader. After getting set up on the bench I got two pellets and a sabot down the tube, when I went for my priming tool I couldn't find it. I rmeembered using my spare at the range last time and must have left it in the pocket of my pants. Try as I might I could not get that 209 into the breech with my bare hands. Well crap, now what do I do?

Down the line aways was another black powder shooter. I inquired of him if he had anythign that would work. I was amazed as he opened up a rolling toolbox of possibles and dug through it drawer by drawer. He didn't have a priming tool so I was relegated to using a pair of surgical tongs to insert and remove the primer before and after each shot. I was happy he was the re to save my bacon. My time was reduced due to the unexpected delays but i was happy with the results. I did a little more tweaking with the scope and feel like I now have it right where I want it to be. One more trip to the range ought to do the trick, but first a trip to the supply house for two new priming tool is in order.

post-5618-0-55942600-1405656718_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good on paper. Get in a few more practices and then a check up right before the hunt. You should be good to go. Buying two is a very good idea. I know from experience. I lost mine while on my hunt but still managed to get one on. :)

TJ

• Like 1

Well I apologize for not updating this for awhile. I have been encountering some struggles with the muzzleloader and wanted to keep the jive on this thread positive.

The good news is that the archery hunts are underway and it seem that only one real big buck has hit the dirt that I am aware of. I am hoping to spend all of labor day weekend there to watch it wrap up and make a plan for my first few days.

I will post a separate thread about the muzzleloader but the crux of it is that I have not been able to shoot a group in my last two outings. At 25 yards today I had a hard time keeping it on paper. I am beginning to panic with just three weeks before the hunt I don't know if I have time to diagnose and fix the problem. I think it has to be a scope/ring/base problem, as I just don't think that there is anything that could be THAT wrong with my load.

Thoughts are welcomed if you have any . . .

• Like 1

Guys thanks for all the help and suggestions. I have tore the gun apart and it now sits in my vise ready to be re-assembled tomorrow. I cleaned it thoroughly and will loctite every screw or bolt on the gun tomorrow. I found a loose front base, a severely fouled breech plug and a fouled barrel. I think the issue could have been coming from any of the three but was probably the result of all combined. Hopefully on Saturday I have better results to post. I have procured a backup gun in case I can't get mine back in order, which was a huge relief. Thanks again to everyone for the offers of help, pm's and encouragement.

In the department of the exciting stuff, Antelope. I received a text from a member who has a nearby hunt telling me he knew of a potential Booner in my unit. He sent pics and the buck is one I have never seen before, he goes straight up and has huge cutters. Its a totally different look than any of the bucks I have scouted. It was very exciting to see, hopefully he can dodge arrows for a couple of weeks until I get my crack. I would say right now that buck is probably my number 3 buck on the hit list.

Thanks again for all the support, this site is amazing and has been a good substitute for actual hunting buddies, of which I have been running a bit low in recent years.

• Like 2

Well for post #1500 I am happy to report good news. I have my ML put back together, thanks to the help of nearly an entire tube of loctite, and ready to shoot again on Saturday. I am going to stay with the loads I had been shooting prior to my issues; (2) 50 gn T7 pellets behind a Hornady SST 250 gr red sabot. This load initially shot well for me and I am hoping to get it there again. While out at the range on Saturday I will get dialed in with the backup rifle as well. Hopefully after that I can get back up to the mountain and spend Labor Day weekend figuring out how many bucks off my hit list got arrowed.

Below is a picture of the rig all cleaned up and ready to run again.

post-5618-0-39477500-1408512448_thumb.jpg

I will say that this week is the first time that I have had a hard time concentrating at work. All I can think about is getting ready for this hunt. It is starting to feel real. There is still a ton of country that I have not looked at, so I am chomping at the bit to get back up there put glass on the hills.

If anybody is going to be in the Prescott area labor day weekend or during the hunt (9/5-9/11) feel free to PM me. I would love to meet up. Several other members have tags in neighboring units and I hope to be able to stop in and see them during the hunt.

• Like 2

Good luck shooting it this weekend! I know how frustrating sighting in a rifle can be!!!!!

Well it took 27 rounds and 6 hours but I think that we have the old girl dialed in once again. I will say that all summer I have had a bruised palm from pushing the rod down the barrel and today is the worst its been. After a dozen or so rounds at 25 yards I was able to put this group together at 100.

post-5618-0-47891000-1408822183_thumb.jpg

After a few rounds at 100 I was able to put together a 3" group at 200. That will do. I believe that 225 will be my self imposed limit because 200 is the furthest I have been able to shoot regularly. With a little time and practice I do believe that this could be a 300 yd smoke pole. I just do not have the time right now to play with loads to dial it in.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice, encouragement or even their own guns. I never expected complete strangers to offer up their own time and even guns to help me. I am humbled by your generosity.

• Like 2