Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

*Monster Goat in the Dirt* 2014 Antelope Hunt

T Minus 3 days to opening day of the Muzzleloader antelope season.

After all the issues I had with the gun this month a couple of scouting trips got replaced with range time. Although it was a frustrating experience, I can say that it was one that made me learn my gun inside and out and I am definitely a bett prepared ML hunter for than I was before the month began. Fortunately the three day weekend allowed me with an opportunity to take the boys and head back up to the unit and see how things were shaping up. I will say that between the archery hunt, monsoons and the rut kicking off things had definitely changed.On my first trip up the dust on the ground would puff up around your feet as you walked. This trip the milkweed was as tall as barb wire fences in places.

Saturday morning the boys and I first went to find a campsite on a small piece of private ground that I had obtained permission to camp and hunt on. While taking a drive around the place with the rancher we found a buck with 9 does in a pasture. I was happy to see a good buck on the property and with all those does my hopes were high that he would stick around for the 6 days until the hunt started. I made a mental note to go back and check the buck out more thoroughly and snap a few pictures once camp was set up.

post-5618-0-70844500-1409630869_thumb.jpg

This buck was hard to judge but after spending over an hour looking him over in the 15x's I think this may be a shooter. After finding a camp site we headed to a nearby area where we had been seeing our #1 buck all summer. My stomach was in knots as we headed out to look for the giant. We never did find him but it wasn't for a lack of trying, I put in several hours behind the 15's while the boys blazed new trails on a nearby hill. Although we didn't find the big one we did see several bucks during our mid day glassing session including this straight up guy.

post-5618-0-28533800-1409631450_thumb.jpg

During the first day I estimated we glassed over 30 bucks, but with the rut going full swing it was tough to get any of them to hold still long enough to be able to get a good look at them from long range. I quickly was beginning to understand that I might be severely underglassed. Even with 15's it was necessary to try and slip within 300-400 yards to be able to tell solid bucks from really good ones. Although that sounds easy enough, when glassing miles of country at a time with dozens of aniumals in it, the task becomes daunting. I may need to seriously consider getting my hands on a spotter before Friday, I will have top put in a call to Ross Outdoor tomorrow and see if they have any rentals available for next week.

The next morning we headed to a different part of the unit to check on some bucks I had seen on my very first trip. It was a slow morning of glassing, but at a tank we stopped to glass my boys had fun catching baby frogs that were just getting their legs. Watching these kids fall in love with the same things I used to do as a kid brought me a ton of satisfaction. Aside from anything that happens during the hunt, the greatest thing that it has given me is an excuse to spend a lot time with my sons this summer and for them to have an opportunity to participate in the experience without enduring the difficult hikes and climbs of an elk or coues hunt. The antelope are visible enought that they can glass them up on their own and put on practice stalks just for fun. By far the greatest reward of this tag has been those experiences. It will be a little strange next week when I am up there without them during the school week.

post-5618-0-83949000-1409632380_thumb.jpg

post-5618-0-68891900-1409632414_thumb.jpg

post-5618-0-77821900-1409633562_thumb.jpg

post-5618-0-13017900-1409633612_thumb.jpg

The excursion revealed just one herd that had moved onto private land and at a distance to great to get a good feel for the size of the buck. Later in the day we went for a hike into a drinker we had watched from a distance the day before. Although we saw fewer goats that night, we did discover one new buck we have nick named Ceasar. We walked up on him just before dark and he ended up coming within 100 yds from us as we crouched in the scrub oak. I only got one picture and it was head on, and from this view he is a no doubt first day buck. But with only a limited amount of time to size up his mass and cutters, I I can't say for sure that I am ready to chase him as a #1. Although another experience at close range might prove more than I can resist.

post-5618-0-23623500-1409632742_thumb.jpg

Monday morning we hiked out into a meadow where several buck's had been rutting the night before. We turned up a buck that had the mass and prongs of the monster we had been watching but with much shorter horns. Still a very pretty buck and one that on most hunts I would be all over.

post-5618-0-35228000-1409633853_thumb.jpg

In the same area we also came across this buck who I think needs a closer look.

post-5618-0-70222600-1409633000_thumb.jpg

Later in the day we were able to spend some time looking over a few more bucks.

post-5618-0-74784600-1409633193_thumb.jpg

post-5618-0-38550700-1409633286_thumb.jpg

post-5618-0-90567000-1409633325_thumb.jpg

post-5618-0-76360000-1409633436_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Nice pics! I like the first buck pic and the one by the bush by itself. Best of luck, Shoot a toad!

Can't wait to see how this thread continues to develop. Great job so far. I have a feeling its about to get real good! Best of Luck on your hunt although I doubt you're going to need much luck as you look very prepared! Git R Done!

• Like 1

This has been great to follow. I agree with Amanda, I love your thoughts about spending time with your boys! Filling your tag will be icing on the cake! Good luck!

• Like 1

Best of luck on your hunt my friend!!! I agree with azkiller. Pick out number one and go for it because I think they will go quickly Friday morning.

Thanks guys. Good luck to you as well. Hopefully our paths cross at some point this weekend. I have a particular buck in mind and hope to track him down on Friday. Fortunately with a limited number of tags there shouldn't be a black friday rush on the good ones . . . ;)

I'm going to be in a meeting in Meadview Friday, which means leaving here early and getting back late. This hunt and thread will be on my mind all day and I look forward to seeing an update when I get back!

Best of luck on your hunt my friend!!! I agree with azkiller. Pick out number one and go for it because I think they will go quickly Friday morning.

Thanks guys. Good luck to you as well. Hopefully our paths cross at some point this weekend. I have a particular buck in mind and hope to track him down on Friday. Fortunately with a limited number of tags there shouldn't be a black friday rush on the good ones . . . ;)

You need to track him down tonite and put him to bed, then shoot him as soon as you can see him in the morning.

Good Luck! finally got around to reading your thread. wish you and your boys all the luck in the world! very cool thread going. look forward to the conclusion!

Long day, with lots of bucks. Some really good ones. But they are all still alive at this point.

• Like 2