Sign in to follow this  
AZ8

Internet service

I received notice today that a price increase is coming next month with my current internet provider. So I'm shopping around.

Centurylink is offering a nice price and it's locked in for three years with no contract. Anyone here use Centurylink as your internet? Is it good? Reliable? Are you happy with them?

Cox is freaking expensive, so not sure what route I want to take.

Thanks.

I use cox, but have heard about technical and service issues about both cox and centurylink. I would switch to centurylink just to try it, but I can only get 1.5mps download where I live. So, for now, stuck with cox and their monopolistic prices. :(

I just got rid of cox last month. Got tired of paying their ridiculous prices! Went with direct tv and centurylink. So far with the new centurylink internet I cannot tell a difference in the speed compared to cox.

I have century link. It's not as good as cable internet. For one, they like to tell you that you will get XXX MPS but when you actually check it, it's way WAY slower than what you paid for. When you question them they tell you it must me your wiring or that the speed advertised is a MAX speed and not available everywhere.

I have century link, and used to have Cox. I will never have cox again. I agree that their internet is faster, but for home internet, century link is good. They just upped the speeds in my neighborhood a few months ago, and when I tested it online, it hit the speed they claim. Century link's upload speed is bad, but their download speed is adequate for most.

After having them bundled with direct TV for years, I am able to call every 6 months and let them know that I am not going to pay their full price. They then give you a Loyality discount and my bill literally is almost cut in half. kind of a pain to have to call every 6 months, but well worth the $400 savings I incur.

I think it depends on location and the cabling in your neighborhood. CenturyLink used to be really slow in our neighborhood due to distance from nearest station (I don't know of that's the correct term) They made some changes including fiber optics in the neighborhood and tremendously improved. I switched after several neighbors reported faster speed. No complaints here.

Cox sux! I hate em. Expensive and horrible customer service. I miss when I had cableaz till cox took over. All I have now is internet. No TV. Couldn't justify spending that kind of money when my son can download everything I watch for next to nothing. I might make the switch.

Yeah, neither have great customer service. In fact, customer service is lacking in many areas we as consumers use. I've come to expect that CS isn't what it use to be in almost any technology based business anymore. But if I can save some money, I can look beyond it.

It's encouraging to read about CL. But for every good, I'm sure there's a bad experience. Just a quick google search cautions me. Guess my wallet will have to make a choice.

I won't use century link ever again. I finally broke down and was going to get an internet service last year when I received a flyer from century link advertising 15 Mbps for $19.99. I called them up, mentioned the flyer and ordered it.

I happen to be home when the technician came to hook up the cable outside and I asked him about the Mbps and he said my neighborhood was only getting 1.2 Mbps.

I let him finish hooking up, went inside and cancelled the service the same day. I was

Told when I ordered that I had 30 days to decide If I was going to keep it without being charged. They sent me a $70 bill for 1 days service.

Switched to cox for $49.99 a month. Seems outrageous to pay $50 a month on internet to me but I don't have cable tv so I save there.