Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Big Lake Road

Any feelings out there about Big Lake road getting paved from the Alpine side?

I am curious as to the why and who makes those kind of decisions. One of my favorite roads to drive and see game. I have mixed feelings about the "improvement" civilized left and we civilized right.

• Like 1

Makes me sad. I love the Alpine/Nutrioso area and spend a lot of time there. During the summer it seems that Phoenix heads to the mountains. Payson, Showlow, and Pinetop along with space and dirt roads work like a filter that keeps Phoenix to the a West of Alpine. Paving this road, after paving it from Sunrise to Big Lake, just weaken that filter.

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree with you guys. IMO it's not necessary. The access up there is great, but I preferred the dirt road feel. I live here in Lakeside and spend a lot of time up around Big Lake and all of Unit 1. The good news is, they'll never pave it all (I hope) and there are still lots and lots of great roads to go explore.

It doesn't really surprise me that they want to continue the pavement all the way through 3 forks to Alpine, but that is such a great road already, I don't understand the need. There are a lot of cool campgrounds off that road, that will lose appeal if it's paved.

Around 5 or so years ago we went to alpine to fish and hang out the last weekend of May. It ended up snowing almost 3 feet!!!! We drove the girlfriends (now my wife) Toyota corolla all the way to big lake without any snow plows in front of us, dirt the whole way there! Great fishing too!! Point is.... A corolla in 3 foot of snow made it with a dirt road, why waste money for asphalt???

I don't think this project is needed. It's a waste of money and a shame

• Like 1

Beginning of the end,remember Bartlet lake? It is wrecked now but used to be a great get away before they paved it. Nuff said

• Like 3

Yeah, I agree with you guys. IMO it's not necessary. The access up there is great, but I preferred the dirt road feel. I live here in Lakeside and spend a lot of time up around Big Lake and all of Unit 1. The good news is, they'll never pave it all (I hope) and there are still lots and lots of great roads to go explore.

It doesn't really surprise me that they want to continue the pavement all the way through 3 forks to Alpine, but that is such a great road already, I don't understand the need. There are a lot of cool campgrounds off that road, that will lose appeal if it's paved.

I have heard that the plan does call for paving it all the way to big lake.... I sure hope you're right about it not going all the way. I don't like seeing it go in period.

Was there last weekend and the flag man told us the road will be paved all the way to Big Lake. I, like others who have posted here, would prefer the old washboard road. We have seen so much wildlife on this road. I wonder just how fast people are going to drive this road once it is paved. Drivers' speed once paved will be problematic.

• Like 1

Guest 300ultramag.

why don't they connect greer too while there at it? dumbasses

why don't they connect greer too while there at it? dumbasses

My guess is, that's next. They have a whole different perspective than we do. They want to modernize, while we want to preserve. It's "progress" in action, and it's here to stay, unfortunately.

Back in the 70's right there at 3 forks we called that slippery hill. We would leave Alpine right after work to get the last hours of fishing at Big Lake. We would walk the railroad bed on the back side where now there is a boat ramp. Days long gone. Slippery hill will never be the same.

I just hate seeing it be paved. It has become so commercial now and doesn't seem to be getting any better. Miss the days of going up there and not having a new city being built every weekend(the Big lake campgrounds). Guess my idea of camping and enjoying the outdoors is different than others.