Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Big Lake Road

I agree that its a poorly conceived idea.

Was there the last weekend of the turkey season and they were driving it like it WAS paved. Better find a different way to BL because everyone will be going 55+

My biggest concern in this, is that after they spend all this money, they'll look for entrance fees. Just kind of goes with the territory I guess. Give them something they didn't want, then charge them for it. Bartlett, Roosevelt are good examples.

More than likely it will become a fee area.

It's a great road as is, with good drainage and material. Paving it is way over the top!

The older I get, the more I realize to appreciate things when they are good. Paving this road is a perfect example of that. Paving the remainder will change it forever, in more ways than one. Sad.

• Like 1

Coach, this is one thing that has me concerned as well, on one hand it appears to be making access easier on the other hand clamping down on what roads are going to cost to be on and what roads are they going to go ahead and close down.

Probably somewhere around 1973 my dad knocked a hole in the oil pan.......going from reservation to national forest crossing the cattle guard......and the mud and slop during the monsoons at McNary.

I have been stuck in mud and snow on that road more times than I want to admit...I sure hate to see them put black top on it.......

We need dirt roads going to these lakes. We are out in the AZ country for a reason, getting away from pavement is part of it. Five years ago maybe longer we were driving up there for a turkey hunt the sunrise way and got turned around because they were paving that. We have a cabin up under the rim in 22 and sounds like they will be paving control road in the near future. Got to make everything more Prius friendly!

It's ridiculous. More and more roads, they're just going to keep paving. People gonna keep building fancy houses here, fancy houses there...people will argue we're not encroaching on wilderness, but then how do you explain giant cities and how they got there today?

More pavement for more people to drive like a holes down that road.

I hate to see it too. I have not been to Bartlett since they paved the road. The Fee Areas stink and I have not been to any of the desert lakes since these were implemented.

Ticked me off royally when they started that at Woods Canyon Lake years ago and they have now started doing it at the Spillway Campground Parking Lot, $4 to park and this year they stuck a bunch of Picnic Tables there too. NFS should have been dismantled years ago.

To many dinged up prius'. Money could be spent better on different projects. I don't really think it'll attract more people I just hate seeing change. Lived in Eagar all my life. more dirt an less pavement is best anywhere you go.

• Like 4

Sad to hear this... It will as the same in other areas of the state that have been paved bring in every AHole in the state there.

Paving isn't the worst of it. Look at what happened to Sheep's Crossing. Continuous steel rails now block the view and parking is banned everywhere except in a designated area for path walkers far upstream from the good fishing spots. Before they "improved it," there usually were 15 to 20 carloads of people fishing or having picnics on the river every day throughout the summer. No more.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1