Sign in to follow this  
4Falls

antelope season is underway

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it is time for the archery hunters and the rifle hunters to rotate years. with today's archery technology there is zero reason that the archery hunters should get first crack at the big animals. This goes for elk also.

I would gladly switch elk...... let the 40 or 50 rifle tags go in the second weekend of Sept and push us back to the end of sept beginning of oct!!!!!!! That would be awesome I would love to hunt when the rut is at its peak!!!!!!!

Never said the same amount of rifle tags as archery, just flip the seasons every year. The early rifle hunts are near 100% anyway. I'm not saying to flip the general, just early and archery, keep the tag numbers the same... Well they need to be reduced, but that's another story.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it is time for the archery hunters and the rifle hunters to rotate years. with today's archery technology there is zero reason that the archery hunters should get first crack at the big animals. This goes for elk also.

I would gladly switch elk...... let the 40 or 50 rifle tags go in the second weekend of Sept and push us back to the end of sept beginning of oct!!!!!!! That would be awesome I would love to hunt when the rut is at its peak!!!!!!!

Yeah! When every bull has been called to by a dozen hunters. I'm sure it would be alot easier for you. On the plus side, they wouldn't be running around looking like a pin cushion.

No internet rumors here! Last year cattle and carp reported 25% success for archery... 60 hunters= 15 dead archery goats... This year more than that have been killed in the first 6 days! I was on several of them and received pictures from good friends of the others. I am not getting into a pissing match with anyone over this, but I don't post rumors, hearsay, or B.S. I hope I am wrong on this!! I will find out in 3 weeks

Whitey

• Like 1

No pissing match intended. I was on last years 2nd hunt with a tag in my pocket. I saw first hand, and I assure you that there was more than 15 antelope killed during both hunts. 15 were killed on 2nd hunt alone, and that is if the hunt survey cards are correct. I believe a few guys from ross had the 1st hunt and they both killed good bucks. buddy of mine killed a great buck and his father also took a good buck on 1st hunt. Lots of opportunity for a harvest in 19a, reason being Antelope herds are doing well, and #'s are high per mile. Just trying to get people to simmer down about how all the Antelope in 19a are being slaughtered. This happens EVERY year, and Good bucks will be killed during Muzzy hunts as well. Last year the 2 hunters I personally knew who had Muzzy 19a tags both killed 80"+ Antelope. There is so much good Antelope country in 19A, and you can never tell what a buck will do during the rut. He could be on Private for weeks, then leave it and jump onto public chasing tail. Good luck on your ML tag, I am confident you will find a buck that will be fantastic.

they got an antelope tag and whine no biggy's will be left cuz hunters success - tooo funny

Right? Every one with a brain stem knows 19a is an archery unit 1st, and there will be a few big bucks for the smoke poles to fight over. Thats why they should rotate.

Yeah! When every bull has been called to by a dozen hunters. I'm sure it would be alot easier for you. On the plus side, they wouldn't be running around looking like a pin cushion.

Wow man you have a serious issue with archers..... and I doubt 40 or 50 guys can call to all the bulls..... anyway I have been on several rifle and muzzy rut hunts and they have all been awesome!!!!! Everyone the bulls have been going crazy and there is no need to call just gotta chase em down....... so from my experience the hunt into the beginning of October is far better...... oh and on those hunts I have never seen elk running around like pin cushions. ....

• Like 1

Bringing up an old argument. Cuz gun hunters have NEVER wounded an animal, they always drop them where they stand right? Hunters, no matter what tool is chosen, should stick together not blame one another. Just helping the bunny huggers. A long time ago I sounded just like you. My dad had a bad archery experience and influenced my beliefs. As I grew older, I embraced archery hunting and now I love it. I love the challenge. I love the silence, no guns going off, typically less people in the woods, animals acting more naturally. If you have the patience, skill, and the discipline to wait for the right shot, there is no reason why you can't be as successful as someone with a gun. We are all on the same side guys. Good luck to all this Fall.

• Like 2

Ok guys back to the topic at hand . . . can anyone post anymore lope pics?

• Like 1

Also back to the topic at hand...I have never hunted antelope with a bow, although it is definitely a goal. I have read about it a lot but I would like some firsthand experience. Do you guys that are successful typically hunt in a blind over water or spot and stalk? Spot and stalk, on the surface seems like it would be very difficult.

Also back to the topic at hand...I have never hunted antelope with a bow, although it is definitely a goal. I have read about it a lot but I would like some firsthand experience. Do you guys that are successful typically hunt in a blind over water or spot and stalk? Spot and stalk, on the surface seems like it would be very difficult.

Im going to be up in 4b running solo on the archery hunt. Your more then welcome to come up and get a good laugh at me chasing them around spot and stalk if you want.....ha

• Like 1

Getting in a blind increases the success rate significantly. Its tough to sit in one when its 100+ for hours at a time but goats have to go to water eventually.

• Like 1

No pissing match intended. I was on last years 2nd hunt with a tag in my pocket. I saw first hand, and I assure you that there was more than 15 antelope killed during both hunts. 15 were killed on 2nd hunt alone, and that is if the hunt survey cards are correct. I believe a few guys from ross had the 1st hunt and they both killed good bucks. buddy of mine killed a great buck and his father also took a good buck on 1st hunt. Lots of opportunity for a harvest in 19a, reason being Antelope herds are doing well, and #'s are high per mile. Just trying to get people to simmer down about how all the Antelope in 19a are being slaughtered. This happens EVERY year, and Good bucks will be killed during Muzzy hunts as well. Last year the 2 hunters I personally knew who had Muzzy 19a tags both killed 80"+ Antelope. There is so much good Antelope country in 19A, and you can never tell what a buck will do during the rut. He could be on Private for weeks, then leave it and jump onto public chasing tail. Good luck on your ML tag, I am confident you will find a buck that will be fantastic.

With a muzzy tag in my hand I can only HOPE a big buck comes outta the woodworks. Between myself and lionhunter and the friends we have helping each of us we have covered TONS of ground and seen a majority of the bucks on public AND Private!! Having a friend with the rifle tag we were able to scout all of perkins. Almost ALL the bigger bucks seen were on public land and are all dead. I've got hundreds of pictures to compare photos to so believe me I KNOW!

PS: when a guy who guides the unit every year and knows antelope better than anyone in the state Is freaken out about the slaughter of quality and # of bucks this year in 19a, then ya know theirs a problem haha....