CouesWhitetail

Where do you store your tag before hunting season?

My Oct whitetail tag came in the mail the other day and I immediately put it in my safe. It used to be that for years I would just toss it on the counter somewhere and the day before the hunt I would frantically search the house for the tag! I got tired of doing that, so then I had a special file holder for it on the counter, and that worked out fine because I always knew where it was. But then my dad gave me a neat old safe that used to be in a general store that some distant relatives owned long ago. Anyway, it's a neat safe that stands a few feet tall and now that is where I store my tags when they come in the mail. I would keep them in my hunting pack, but I use that pack year round for my owl surveys and I am afraid it would fall out somewhere!

Where do you keep your tags?

• Like 3

Mine go in my sock drawer on the right hand side. That is where I keep my archery tags and any other tags I have between hunts.

• Like 1

I have a special spot on a shelf in the man cave where all my books and maps go. Tags go under the cam hanes back country book for good luck. I also print extra licenses and put one in each envelope for each applicant and put both in sandwich bag.

• Like 1

If I ever get one I put it in my Bible like my uncle taught me......can hurt and you always know where it is.

More D

• Like 4

In the drawer of my little "charging station" where I keep phones, wallet, etc...my tags and extra copy of license all go there. I hate to admit that I lost a tag one year even with this system...it wasn't in the drawer when I got ready to pack for the trip, and the only thing I guess is I left it in a pile of mail and it got thrown out. I still went hunting that year and helped my buddy kill a nice buck, but was kicking myself the whole time and left my rifle at home. :D

Guest oneshot

In NY you must wear your tags in a little pin-on pouch (3x5inch) that goes in the middle of your back, so you learn to protect that little pouch good.

Back-Tags must be worn, visable to all, while out hunting (except in the northern zone).

(And this is why you may see the little tabs with the two holes in them on the back of newer hunting coats/jackets).

So I keep two pin-on pouches going , one with Arizona licences and tags, one for NY, keep both in my hunting pack outer pocket, this way they are never lost or mixed-up...

I put mine in my gun safe. The real question is what am I going to do with all my un-filled tags? Mostly old bear, lion, turkey tags. I've been saving them for quite a few years and will maybe plaster something with them someday. I've seen where guys plaster a fridge or work bench or something with old tags.

I put mine in my gun safe. The real question is what am I going to do with all my un-filled tags? Mostly old bear, lion, turkey tags. I've been saving them for quite a few years and will maybe plaster something with them someday. I've seen where guys plaster a fridge or work bench or something with old tags.

LOL! Yeah, that is a good question....I have a hard time throwing out unused tags, so I have several myself. Plastering a work bench is a neat idea....it would be cool to put used tags on a bench too, so you can remember the successful hunts.

• Like 2

The first thing I do when the tag comes in the mail is sign it or have my daughter or wife sign hers, that way we don't have to try and find a pen when it comes around to getting to use it. Next is they go back in the envelope and into a special drawer that only has tags and licenses in it. The tags go on the left in the order of which the hunt takes place and the licenses go on the right. Yeah I know it's a little over the top but I'm pretty annal about such things and I never have to worry about where the tag is.

• Like 3

This may not be the best idea, but my tag goes in my glove compartment. I can't go hunting without my truck, so I am sure to never forget it.

I also write on the envelope in large black sharpie DEER TAG 2014 or whatever tag it is. I also make several copies 1/2 scale of my license and keep them everywhere.

• Like 1

I have a money bag in the safe for new tags and one for unfilled tags.

• Like 1

My Elk tag is on the fridge so I see it everyday!

• Like 5

In NY you must wear your tags in a little pin-on pouch (3x5inch) that goes in the middle of your back, so you learn to protect that little pouch good.

Back-Tags must be worn, visable to all, while out hunting (except in the northern zone).

(And this is why you may see the little tabs with the two holes in them on the back of newer hunting coats/jackets).

So I keep two pin-on pouches going , one with Arizona licences and tags, one for NY, keep both in my hunting pack outer pocket, this way they are never lost or mixed-up...

So nobody in NY wears a backpack while hunting?

I have a hunting folder in my filing cabinet that has everything I need for applications and it has all my tags in it. Got tired of putting them in an area "I wouldn't forget" only to be tearing the house apart the night before a hunt looking for it.

• Like 1