hoghntr

** Snake identification

I wanna go to work with the dude who posted all the cool pics.. and btw the western blind snake is the ones my mom has at her place that sem to live in the expansion joints. thx for sharing those gr8 pics and I suggest you watch few episodes of venom er before wrangling any more mojaves.. I used to pick them up also and even had 4 for pets when I was 20yrs old and brother it aint worth the risk!

• Like 2

...I suggest you watch few episodes of venom er before wrangling any more mojaves.. I used to pick them up also and even had 4 for pets when I was 20yrs old and brother it aint worth the risk!

Great advice right there! Back during my Mojave research days, I had to collect venom from individuals to go with their blood samples. One day I was working with the pure crystalized venom (all liquid removed) and accidentally inhaled a few crystals of the Mojave toxin venom (neurotoxin) from three different individuals before I realized what was happening. My nose went numb for three hours and I had sporadic reoccurences of losing feeling in my nose (it would get all tingly) for about 10 years after that, just like my immunology professor said I would. I was fortunate that it was localized in my nose and didn't spread and I learned to always work in a vent hood! I'm sure we all know someone who has been bitten by a rattlesnake and that should be deterrent enough, but I happen to know the actual protein make-up of many venoms, including Mojave rattlesnake venom (neurotoxin, hemorrhagic toxin, mix of both), and what those individual proteins do by themselves, let alone in conjunction with each other is nasty. That knowledge alone is enough to know I don't want that stuff in my body!