Sign in to follow this  
bojangles

shooting under stress

i've never been one to seal the deal on a big buck. seems the fever overtakes me, or some odd equipment failure, or something always happens in the moment of truth.

So i've been shooting under stress lately to help combat this.

I'll shoot my bow, 5 shots, then do 40 or 50 lunges with dumbells in each hand, then immediately grab my bow and shoot 5 more shots, then grab those dumbells and rip off 40 to 50 more lunges, then do the 5 shot routine.

i do it till i drop.

it seems to help.

anyone else have a training regimine/secret they'd like to share?

I've thought about trying this before...or I think I might run in between. I always seem to be sucking wind from a climb when a shot presents itself. Plus I hate lunges almost as much as I hate burpees. :D

• Like 1

I shoot and arrow, run and get it, run back, nock it and shoot again. over and over again.

• Like 3

My shoot time is almost always after work so I do my workout of whatever kind then grab my bow and head out back for a few shots then I too jog for my arrows and head back always with bow in hand. Just be careful you dont fling an arrow dangerously when your tired.

I was shooting last night with broadheads and my wife was aware and hangin with me but she went for the dogs ball just as I was drawing, scared the crap out of me.

Just be careful.

• Like 1

Guest 300ultramag.

I would simply get in the best shape possible. This will indirectly help your shooting form and it will prevent you from exerting so much energy that when it is time to take the shot you wont even be affected physically you will simply only have to manage your "buck fever"/ adrenaline. and make a killer shot!!!! Keep it up!!!

good luck to ya

• Like 1

Shooting under stress practice ??? Here is my regiment-

1- I buy some new hunting equipment

2- When the Credit Card Bill arrives in the mail I go outback and start shooting

3- I wait for my wife to see how much I have spent

That is about as stressful as it gets for me haha.....its happened so much I am beginning to shoot well under stress

• Like 4

Guest oneshot

I must be blessed with ice-veins, to dont get excited untill after the shot, then the 'shakes" kick-in alittle...

"Fear of Failure" is what some have described to me about "buck-fever",and some of the better range shooters just can't get it done on live animals.

I have killed alot of Deer, Bear, turkeys and other game, but about a month before the seasons start, I shoot my Bow just as if an animal is in front of me, focusing on a spot, slowly bring the recurve up, slow, smooth draw and release... Only shooting a single arrow at a time, then walking over to pull it and do it again... Making that first "cold shot" count...

Putting myself under that shooting pressure to succeed

I put one target towards the top of a hill (still with a backstop) and another towards the bottom. In some of my nastier canyons, I can gain and lose 30-40 feet of elevation in a 30-40 yard shot. Shoot 3 arrows from the top, climb down, shoot up to the top target, climb up, repeat until you can't go anymore. Really gets the heart rate going and makes you focus on calming your breathing to shoot accurately.

• Like 2

I must be blessed with ice-veins, to dont get excited untill after the shot, then the 'shakes" kick-in alittle...

"Fear of Failure" is what some have described to me about "buck-fever",and some of the better range shooters just can't get it done on live animals.

I have killed alot of Deer, Bear, turkeys and other game, but about a month before the seasons start, I shoot my Bow just as if an animal is in front of me, focusing on a spot, slowly bring the recurve up, slow, smooth draw and release... Only shooting a single arrow at a time, then walking over to pull it and do it again... Making that first "cold shot" count...

Putting myself under that shooting pressure to succeed

im with you, pull up and shoot , the more pressure or time is the demise of my accuracy. Rifles, handguns, bows or anything. Shoot straight!!!!!!!!!!!

Muscle memory. Focus an let your body go into auto pilot. I know its easier said than done but how many times have you heard the phrase " it all happened so quick I didn't have time to get nervous" if you do it enough it almost becomes a reaction. Like was said before focus on a spot an release follow thru. Muscle memory. I'm no expert. I've had my fair share of buck fever but I have also killed a lot of animals with my bow too an I can say that 90% of them happened extremely fast an muscle memory saved me.

• Like 2

I lift run and do my normal bow shooting routine 6 days a week (perks of being a teen) then when my moms not home a couple times a week I do my "stress shooting" by going in my house there Is this one spot where I can stand just right and shoot through my kitchen living room hallway into the last room where I put my target right in front of the big screen TV and it is 31 yards exactly... if I miss by 6 inches in any direction I'm f****** talk about stress shooting

Over the years I must have read a million articles that said you should shoot with both eyes open so I always did it that way, but wouldhave a pproblem punching the trigger in crunch time. After having Lasik surgery a few years ago though I ended up with vision that is slightly different in my two eyes. Still am glasses free, but it bugged me a lot shooting. So I simply started shooting with one eye closed. Makes it much easier for me to get the tunnel vision and immediately tightened up my groups at longer ranges.

I also talk myself through every shot always, whether at a target or an animal. Draw - aim - squeeze..... WHACK! Dead deer, no more stress.