Sign in to follow this  
GJMauro12

Legality question

I have a pocket full of tags like everyone else does this time of year. I plan on heading up today to an area that is open for rifle bear also. Is it illegal to carry my rifle and bow into my glassing spot so I can attempt to go after either a deer or bear if I glass one up.

• Like 1

not illegal

ARS 17-305

• Like 1

Yep,

Edge is right. AZ Game and Fish law A.R.S 17-305 states " the possesion of a legal weapon, devices, ammunition or magazine, which are not authorized to take wildlife, is not prohibited while hunting if the weapon or device is not used to take wildlife." However, you may recieve some odd looks and probing questions if you run into a warden.

-Orion

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I had some conflicting stories when I asked a few buddies so I thought I should check.

However, you may recieve some odd looks and probing questions if you run into a warden.

-Orion

Kind of figured so I looked up the ARS and took a screen shot. Thought it would help to start quoting ARS numbers if I am getting harassed.

I thought I remember this coming up before and it was determined you needed to possess the lesser of the two weapons.

I could be totally wrong, 30 is right around the corner and my memory is fading

If you are bringing the bow to hunt Deer & the rifle to specifically shoot other game it is ILLEGAL! You can only have a rifle or handgun for personel protection when your bow hunting. I have dealt with this issue with G&F several times. I've asked if I could sit a blind specificaly for Deer with my bow & still have my rifle to shoot a Bear. I was informed that was against the rules. Maybe it's changed in the ladt couple of years, but I doubt it.

I was scolded several times by hunters over the yrs. during a dec deer hunt - I carried both bow and rifle - I had a rifle tag and the bow hunters would object that I carried both.

if I could get real close -I'd plan on using bow , if I saw a monster out of bow range I planned on using the rifle

I was legal

IF I were you I'd ask the warden for your hunt area , as its HE whom will interpret the law concerning your hunting archery deer and also having a rifle for bear!

do not think that someone here will know what he'll say regarding this!!

well SIR this guy on CWT told me I was legal

I remember this coming up a couple years back in unit 27. The officer patrolling wanted the tag for each species taped to the weapon. So you're gun had to have your bear tag taped to it and your bow had to have your archery deer tag taped to it. I highly doubt there was any legal basis to this requirement, but who wants to spend a few days in court defending their legality to have both a rifle and bow in mixed seasons?

You can carry both and be legal. Game and Fish realized thats its unconstitutional to prohibit a person to carry a legal weapon. You have to shoot what ever animal with the correct weapon type but can carry any weapon. This is a change from previous rules.

• Like 1

You can carry both and be legal. Game and Fish realized thats its unconstitutional to prohibit a person to carry a legal weapon. You have to shoot what ever animal with the correct weapon type but can carry any weapon. This is a change from previous rules.

God Bless America and the Constitution.

• Like 4

It is legal with hunts overlapping as is the case with Archery deer and Rifle Bear to carry both Bow and rifle and use each for it specific tag.