Sign in to follow this  
Hyperwrx

Coues & Turkey Down in Unit 22

I want to preface this with I am not a proficient deer hunter nor an accomplished bow shooter. I predator hunt exclusively but wanted to try archery hunting for a change of pace.

I decided to purchase a bow in June and try shooting a deer this season. Practiced all summer and got good to about 40 yards. Grabbed turkey, deer, and bear tags just to cover all the bases. Friday I was in a tree stand and at 6:30 had a group of turkey come by. I picked one out and shot it at probably 20 yards. I shot at a downward angle right in the middle of his back. Turkey jumps around and dies in 10 yards.

Saw no deer Friday. Start to worry about not filling tag. Change game plans. Saturday was winding down and I went to a saddle between 2 mountains. I was to leave Sunday mid-day so I was starting to worry I'd not even get a chance at a buck. I settle down on the ground and a while later a doe and small barely 2-by buck pass by. I stand and get a wide tree between me and the pair and close to about 30 yards. I lean around the tree and draw and let out a few higher pitch MAA MAAs with my mouth and the doe turns and starts back toward me with the buck in tow. Doe comes to within 12 yards of me as I stood with the bow drawn. Buck was behind her 15 yards. Both stop and are facing me dead on. I wait for about 20 second and they are frozen and wont turn and give me a broadside so I just center the Slick Trick Griztrick2 on his chest and release. Arrow enters the chest, travels through the entire body, and comes out his rump and falls to the ground. Buck runs about 30 yards and drops. I gut him, put him on the quad, and have him boned out and in the ice chest in an hour or so. I go back out Saturday evening and this morning looking for a bear but can't find any. See no more bucks either.

Recent rain up on the rim made sitting on a water hole a giant waste. The 2 1/2 months of trail cam pictures on the tank of 3 different bear, nice deer (several 3 x 3s), and turkey all amounted to 1 turkey. Buck was taken in an area I had never scouted but just had a hunch.

IMG_0306_zps1dc8cd29.jpg

IMG_1140_zps70bc70f6.jpg

IMG_0313_zpsd125a2c5.jpg

• Like 6