Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

'tis the season for kills - a little advice given for leftover part disposal

Since I've learned more about field dressing, it has me going back over the years and remembering the various kills or cleaning sites that I've come across. I personally do not like seeing this when it is on the side of a road or in an empty campsite. It doesn't take much to walk a little ways off the road or from your campsite to dispose of parts.

I remember a couple years ago coming across what I now know is a gutless method deer. I didn't realize until recently that what they did was a lazy version of the gutless method and then left it about 15 feet from a well-used road. I've come across more than one stomach laying in the road and even a spike bull's head left at someone's empty camp.

Please take the extra time to move stuff where people are less apt to see it. It helps gives hunters a better name :)

This is how a tarantula did it below last night. I was photographing the caterpillars that were everywhere when I hear a noise that grabbed my attention and it was this big guy (or gal). He then hauled it back into the dead prickly pear pile where I could no longer see it.

post-5072-0-71935700-1409594832_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-18220600-1409594854_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-10960000-1409594886_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-43135500-1409594907_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-74703800-1409594928_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-68202900-1409594991_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Awesome pics! And thanks for the reminder....yes, please take the time to put your carcass somewhere away from camping areas and other public places. And try not to throw stuff in dumpsters either....AGFD gets lots of calls when the public finds carcasses in dumpters, the public generally assumes it's illegally taken wildlife. Besides leaving it in the woods helps the scavengers.

• Like 2

She was big! It was a little close for comfort, but she was pre-occupied. Wish I would've seen the capture. I heard it, but didn't see it. She retreated so watching her eat wasn't an option.

I was more worried about being crouched over in mountain lion looking territory at sundown photographing stuff on the ground. I still have yet to clearly see a cat in the wild, but I'm 100% sure they've seen me.

Well said, Naturegirl, regarding keeping gut piles and bones out of sight. (Even if you don't do it for aesthetic purposes, leaving that out in the open tells other hunters "This is a good hunting spot!")

And I've only seen two mountain lions in the wild (and they were together) but if freaks me out to imagine how many have seen me.

I didn't think it ever happened anymore but my mom saw a deer on top of a jeep this season. please be a good steward and representative of our sport and help others to understand how important it is for the future of hunting and the outdoors. Be descrete and use some common sense.

Agreed. Awesome photos!

I didn't think it ever happened anymore but my mom saw a deer on top of a jeep this season. please be a good steward and representative of our sport and help others to understand how important it is

for the future of hunting and the outdoors. Be descrete and use some common sense.

Who cares if there is a deer strapped to a jeep? Who got their feelings hurt?

• Like 2

If you have to ask a question like that please go take a hunter ed class asap and refrain from discussing hunting in public until you do take said class.

Hey, when it was below freezing in 3c on our hunt a few years back I had my cousins buck strapped atop my jeep.... by the time it was field dressed the temps were already in the 30's and being hungry we drove with that bad boy strapped up top to the DQ for dinner ... that drive cooled that buck down quick !

I don't see a big difference from the top of a jeep to the back of a truck. The hood of the jeep is a different story an is stupid if thats the case. Its hot gotta get it on ice asap. Trust me I know plenty on hunter education thanks tho

• Like 1

This is especially true when it comes to cleaning BIRDS! I clean mine at home so I don't make a mess in the field. My neighbors love me:)

So what do you do when you're hauling a dead deer out of a wilderness area on your back, one piece at a time, and on the first trip when you're taking the top half with the head you bump into a couple of day hikers on their way in. The man says, "Wow, looks like you got lucky!", and then when you say hello to his female, she shoots you a scathing look and stalks past without uttering a word? Then you look behind you and see her walking down the trail, looking over her shoulder at the deer and skewering you with her eyes like you're the most evil s.o.b. on the planet???

I've always felt like I go out of my way to be very courteous to non-hunters, but at the same time if they go out into nature, they kinda have to be willing to see nature, even the unpleasant parts. Wish I would've thought of it at the time, I'd of liked to have said to her, "Sorry love, my meat treat didn't bloom this year so I had to come out here and pick some."

I get it though, when she got up that morning and did her make up and put on all her spendy/fancy REI hiker gear, last thing she probably thought she'd see is some 6 foot tall sweaty dude with 3 days worth of beard and half a dead deer on his back coming down the trail.

• Like 2

As for deer and jeeps.....I would never recommend traveling with them INSIDE your jeep. Been there, done that, and it leaves a stink that stays for awhile. Yep, definitely would not recommend that at all.

I'd say to the lady looking at you with your deer strapped on your back that it's all about the meat. They can't argue that one especially if you go into how much healthier it is, etc, and then it might even turn into an educational lesson for the non-hunter.

I have yet to have a non-hunter challenge me in anyway because I know and understand what it's like to be on both sides of the fence. It's the hunters I have struggled the most with. Kinda interesting actually when I think about it.