craigster

Bullet grain for 300 RUM

A friend and I are working up a load for my 300RUM. My friend believes the 165 grain Sierra traveling at almost 3500 ft/ ps is the way to go. I believe I should go with a heavier grain like the 190 Berger which is going 3000 ft/ps or so. This load is for long range Coues. What have you guys found to be better? Thanks

I started out with the Barnes TTSX 165 grn bullet. had no luck grouping with any combo of powders etc.. Switched to 185 grn Bergers & rifle groups excellent! shooting just under 3400 fps. good luck!!

You might want to take a look at 208 AMAX pushed by Retumbo. I would be surprised if you could get a 165 bullet, moving at 3500 gps, to group very well.

• Like 1

I preferred using the 180 grain swift scirocco with 82 grs of IMR 4350 @ 3250FPS .... Though I was using 150 grain combined tech silvertips and swift sciroccos for coues.... But I also know a guy pushing 125 grain with RL22 at over 3800FPS who's gun loves the load and is what he uses for coues ...

The lighter bullets seem to be tougher to find a load with as much accuracy as the 180 or 200 grain bullets but with patience you can find accurate loads in the lighter weights. !

For my .300RUM, I shoot:

175 Barnes LRX @ 3350FPS

175 SMK @ 3300FPS

210 SMK @ 3150FPS

215 Berger Hybrid @ 3100FPS

All are less than 1/2 moa. The heavies start out slower, but hit like a sledgehammer at distance. BC flight overtakes the lighter rounds at about 900 yards IIRC.

I am currently shooting a 165 Gr Sierra Game king in a 300 RUM, accuracy for this combination is phenomenal. However, I am running around 3200 fps rather than super high velocity. Hope to get in on some hide in early November.

When I had my .300 RUM. I shot the 165 grain scirocco at 3550. killed plenty of coues past 500 yards and a bull elk at 575. That was a few years ago, I would probably use a heavier Berger or try the newer long range Accubond from Nosler.

• Like 1

I was up at the range this past weekend working on my 300 RUM load. I'm shooting 210 grain Bergers with exactly 91 grains of Retumbo. Three rounds through the chronograph all came out at exactly 2990 FPS. This grouping at 200 yards speaks for it's self. 210 grain Bergers through a 300 RUM may sound like a lot for coues, but you won't have to track it far!

post-6408-0-76452200-1413301443_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

what rossislider said, why do anything else???? ;)

• Like 1

I would highly recommend the Berger 230gr Hybrids. You will have to go to a .338 300gr bullet to find a higher B.C. Im shooting mine at 3,048fps and they group well too.

post-8805-0-51919000-1413303750_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just try a few different loads and see what your gun likes ... There are so many good loads out there now for 300 RUM and going lighter even as low as 125 grain is fine especially shooting under 600 yards... If you are trying to really build long range , then look heavier as others have stated, but keep in mind that the load itself is not the only factor in accuracy ... things like barrel length and twist will make differences too. None the less you will have to find what works best for your gun.

Maximize potential with a heavier bullet. Your shooting a RUM because you wanted more performance and horse power might as well get all you can from it. It would be 200 grains or heavier for me. Light weight 30 cal bullets have horrible BCs and bleed a lot of energy and velocity very quickly.

• Like 2

210 Berger with 90-92 Retumbo.. If my 210s didn't shoot so good I would try 230 hybrid.

I agree with Stomp, you are shooting a 300 RUM...... so maximize it

• Like 2

I'd go with the 210 grain nosler long range accubond. I had flawless performance on my coues last year at 500 yards out if my 300 win mag