creed_az_88

260 rem vs 7mm-08 vs 243 vs ?

The .243 can shoot bullets weighing up to 115 grains just like the .257 calibers. BC is great with these bullets. Barrel life will be less than a .260 though. But it will also be a flatter shooting round out to 500 yards.

My daughters shoot a .250 Ackley for deer. Shoots a 100gr SMK at about 3200 fps, or a 115gr. VLD at 3050. I would think those are right in between the .243Win and a .260Rem. Here is the kicker...it recoils a bit more with the same bullets than my .25-06 Ackley at higher velocities because of the build of the gun.

I would just add a brake to your .257 Ackley and call it good. You can always get either a clamp on brake or remove a thread on when you want to for your hunting preference.

Standard twist .243" tubes will not be able to shoot the 115 or even some of the 105 VLD type bullets. Standard .243 factory twists a 95 VLD is the best bet and still has a BC approaching .5. This bullet at 3,200 is a fantastic combo with light recoil.

Good call on the twist rates. A .243 115gr. VLD requires a 1 in 7" twist rate, and a 105 VLD requires a 1 in 8" twist. Probably not readily available in a factory rifle.

You may take a look at the Weatherby Series 2 Vanguard in 6.5 Creedmoor. I bought one for my oldest son last Christmas and have been really impressed with the gun and caliber. I think the rifle was around $600. Factory ammo is about $30 a box and it is easy to reload for. My 8 year old loves to shoot it also. The recoil is like a .243 in my opinion. The 260 and 7-08 are also good choices.

So after mucho consideration and a lot of research I pulled the trigger on a new rifle. I was pretty much torn between a .260, .243, and 25-06. I was pretty positive that I would be buying a savage but after I spent some time looking at what all tucson had to offer I came home with a remington 700 adl stainless in .243. $499 at sportsmans. This rifle is going to be a surprise. She really likes the looks of stainless guns I think she'll love it with the new boyds laminate in black jack color. As soon as I got home I loaded up some 100 grain sierra pro hunters under reloader 17 and laddered up to max. I also cut the pull weight on the trigger in half. It's very crisp now. The ease of adjustment on the trigger is one othe reasons I decided to go with this gun. It showed zero signs of pressure and shot the max load the best. I'm actually pretty impressed with the out of the box results. Thanks for all the input and recommendations. I may regret not going with one of the other calibers once she puts a bullet into an animal but for now I'm happy and I think she will be too once i give it to her.post-256-0-17568800-1414122668_thumb.jpg

Very good I like the 243 I got one last January and love it then to finish it off with a Boyds stock is just right on the money. I put the pepper color stock on mine good luck

I started my grandsons out with the 7mm-08 and 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips at about 2,800 fps. They have taken whitetails, mule deer and pronghorns with that combination. My younger daughter has been using it for almost 20 years, now, and won't consider using anything else. If you hand load, the 7mm-08 is a little more versatile, IMO.

I just bought the same rifle or my wife.. Would you share your trigger adjustment method? Is This is the newest trigger for Remington 700s without the screw on the trigger?

post-256-0-41386500-1414183490.jpg

I was lucky enough to get my desired pull weight by just adjusting screw number 1. When you take off the stock the internal magazine will almost be in your way. The Allen wrench needed is tiny and just a few turns lightened it up a bunch. Slam the bolt shut after you adjust it and bounce the butt of the stock off the ground a few times to make sure it's not gonna slam fire.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I was lucky enough to get my desired pull weight by just adjusting screw number 1. When you take off the stock the internal magazine will almost be in your way. The Allen wrench needed is tiny and just a few turns lightened it up a bunch. Slam the bolt shut after you adjust it and bounce the butt of the stock off the ground a few times to make sure it's not gonna slam fire.

Thank you sir I adjusted the trigger checked for slam fire and bumped the rifle several times and it checks out about 2.5 lbs.. I was planning to just buy a timney but this seems good now.. I'll know more when I shoot it next weekend.. I am going to try some 95gr burgers with some IMR4350 I have..thinking about an HS stock before I do any load development.. I am not sure how the results will be with that crappy stock it comes with..

4350 was the next powder of choice if the reloader 17 didn't produce. I don't own a chronograph, although I have access to one, but I'm assuming the velocities between the 4350 and the 17 being very similar. Reloader 17 is supposed to produce more velocity than any of the 4350s but I don't believe it's always the case.