creed_az_88

260 rem vs 7mm-08 vs 243 vs ?

I'm in the market for a new rifle for my wife. I'm really wanting a 260 for her but there just aren't very many factory options for her in that round. Everybody makes a gun in .243 and I may go that route but I really would like to see her with a little more gun than that for them big ol flop eared Mulies she likes to chase. I'm a little worried about the recoil on the 7mm-08. What do you guys think? Loading up some 120 grain bullets an option to help with recoil? I would be happy with a .257 roberts also but finding a factory rifle in my budget in a 260 or 257 is pretty tough. I'd like to spend under a grand for the whole deal ( scope, reloading dies and brass and projectiles, and possibly a drop in pinkish laminate stock). She's currently hunting with my .257 ackley and it's about the max for her in the recoil department. A custom build would be the best option but it just isn't an option at this time. What would you Guys do? I'm really liking the marlin x7 based on reviews alone. Howa seems to be my next choice. Savage being my next choice after that although it would be more expensive than the first two choices because I really don't want an axis or edge. A used gun is an option also if it's in good shape. Anybody got any advice?

Savage trophy hunter xp comes in .260 for about $500 with a nikon scope. They also have a $75 dollar rebate going right now.

I just bought one in 6.5x.284 and after the rebate and selling the scope that it comes with, I was only in for $325.

I put a warne base and Zeiss scope on it and It shoots really well. During break in I shot a group that was .382.

• Like 1

That's impressive where did you purchase it from? My wife is 5'2". Do they make a youth model? A shorter length of pull aftermarket stock is an option I imagine.

Savage trophy hunter xp comes in .260 for about $500 with a nikon scope. They also have a $75 dollar rebate going right now.

I just bought one in 6.5x.284 and after the rebate and selling the scope that it comes with, I was only in for $325.

I put a warne base and Zeiss scope on it and It shoots really well. During break in I shot a group that was .382.

My wife's cousin just got the same thing but in 6.5 Creedmore. She called Savage and was able to buy a youth stock for her and her kids but keep the full size stalk in case her husband ever used it or when the kids get bigger. Seems like a good factory option.

They do have a youth model but it isn't offered in as many calibers, I think only .308 and 7mm-08.

Creed- you reload so you reload to her comfort level. you canadd a muzzle break 150$ brings a mag down to .243 level. you lucky to have wife that will hunt . rifles fit , balance and if it is attractive ( blue vs stainless, wood vs plastic) to her are considerations. enjoy shopping.

As far as caliber goes 260 all the way. A 140gr bullet will tackle anything your wife would wish to hunt and do so with very little recoil. The savage trophy hunter would be a good one to start with. Light weight and accurate right out of the box.

I bought it at Sportsmans warehouse in Tucson. They probably won't have the caliber you want in stock but they can get it sent over from another store.

The rebate is good no matter where you buy it. Just google it and print out the pdf.

That's impressive where did you purchase it from? My wife is 5'2". Do they make a youth model? A shorter length of pull aftermarket stock is an option I imagine.

My wife has taken a bull Elk and two Coues the past three years with her 7mm-08 and there was no tracking. She has a muzzle break and recoil isn't a problem for her at the range. I have been very impressed with the caliber and how she shoots with it.

Good Luck

Why not another 257 ackley if you already have one that she likes, or give her the ackley and get a new you gun?

I like stuff that is not as mainstream though so I like things like 257 ackley, 7x57 Mauser, 6.5x55 Swedish, etc. in the caliber range you are looking at. They are harder to find rifles in though.

I have a 257 weatherby vanguard ( the older style) and I really like it. Recoil will be to much without a muzzle break though.

6.5 Swedish, 6.5 creedmor or 260 rem would all be great. Can't go wrong with 7-08 either.