Sign in to follow this  
My Rights As An American

KYB vs. Bilstein vs. Rancho

Ok, I know this may end up being a Coke vs. Pepsi debate but I need input. I have a 2004 Toyota tundra 4wd double cab with about 85,000 miles and the shocks/struts need replacement. My question is should I go with the: KYB set for as little as $280 shipped, the Bilsteins for $315 shipped or the Ranchos for about $350 shipped? Is the price difference really that much more performance? This is front struts and rear shocks. I am not a super serious off roader but do take it places.

Also, should I replace the coil springs? If not what shop will do the cool spring compressions to replace the struts and how much do they generally cost to do this?

Final question is can anyone beat these prices for a new set cause I would rather spend here than simply order and wait a week to ship? Thanks everyone!!!

You have two good votes above and I was going to say if it were my choice, I would not get the KYB struts. Not that they are horrible but there are better options like the two stated above.

I'd go bilsteins. They are the factory setup right? My Tacoma has 140k and the struts are starring to go bad. (Squeaking) have been good til that. If you get to Tucson I can compress the springs and change the struts for you

I'd go bilsteins. They are the factory setup right? My Tacoma has 140k and the struts are starring to go bad. (Squeaking) have been good til that. If you get to Tucson I can compress the springs and change the struts for you

That is an awesome deal right there! Yes, everything is factory. Not being made of money, I have to balance price and quality and stay away from dealerships! It is ridiculous what they charge for new shocks and struts!!!!

I just put the leveling Bilsteins in my truck and love them. A lot better ride for sure. And it leveled the front end of my truck at the same time. I was due for tires so I just did everything at once.

Either the bilsteins or the rancho will work for whatever you will need on a stock vehicle. I personally went with rancho on my WJ, only because i saved a bunch. Your not going to get a significant performance upgrade at those prices, unless you step up to remote reservoir setup. But since you stated you are just a weekend warrior either will work. Just so you know october is know as SHOCKTOBER!!!! at orielly auto parts, buy 3 rancho shocks get a 4th free. Might want to look into it and see how much you can save... And no, your coil springs will be just fine..

I've been a fan of bilstein for 20 years. Have experience with rancho as well, but if it were my vehicle and I was looking to keep it for several years I would buy bilstein.

no experience with kyb.

Depends on which Ranchos. I used to run the 5000s on my rigs just for the fact they were OK, but inexpensive, and I destroyed them on a regular basis. The 7000s are too stiff for a light truck. The 9000s are nice for adjustability, but pricey, and without an in cab controller, you won't get out and change the settings very often.

This past weekend, after 7 years, just changed the shocks on my F250 from Rancho 7000s (that were way worn out) and put in some Donohoe Racing shocks my son-in-law got as takeoffs at his work. Holy cow they are nice!!!

I would say the Bilsteins would be a good fit for a Toyota. While I have never used them, I have heard good things from other mild wheelers.

As you can see, this type of stuff is hard on shocks..... :wacko:
154.jpg

Do you know if the newer tacoma shocks/struts fit your truck? There are a bunch of new take-offs on Craigslist for cheap.

When my Y2K F250 Crew Cab Diesel hit 90K I put on a set of Bilsteins and the recovery going through a dip in the road towing a 23' TT was immediate.

Before that it would rock and roll quite a bit. I know have 265K without any issues or leaks. I bought them in about 2003.

From Here. http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm