Sign in to follow this  
Sam

Replacing a Radiator

Looks like I need to replace the radiator on my 1994 Toyota truck. Are there any tricks? It looks pretty basic - drain the fluid, take off the fan shroud, disconnect the hoses, undue four bolts on the radiator. I've done quite a bit of work on my toyota, jeep and blazer, but never had to replace a radiator.

I thought about trying to repair it. It has a very tiny hole. Actually, the only reason I know it is leaking is because I saw the discoloration in the top of the radiator and smelt coolant. You can see from the picture, there is some paint that has been worn off from the fluid.

But, this was weeks ago and I took a trip up north and did not loose any fluid and there was no increase in the temperature. But, I hate to have it get worse on the deer hunt in 2 weeks. So, it can't be leaking much.

I talked to a welder who said i would have to solder it and it may not hold. He also advised against using JB weld.

Should I just replace it or try to patch it somehow. Thanks for any advice you guys have.

post-3538-0-47966300-1414108551_thumb.jpg

just go buy a bottle of the liquid aluminum at pepboys - it looks just like aluminum flakes in a gooie mess-- its a bars leak product - it will stop that leak

I always carry a bottle - I hate to admit but I've been sealing a leak on my radiator in my truck for acouple yrs - it''ll make it all summer usin the ac and as soon as winter sets in -(lol) its will start to leak-- now this is a leak along the seam where the plastic meets metal -

my daughter had a leak at the water pump weep hole of her car - it hasn't leaked in over 2 yrs

it should definitely hold you till you got time to weld- cost about $7 just pour in radiator and drive away

it has additives which helps seals and lubricate the water pump too

Performance radiator or az radiator or any other companies offer reasonable priced reman cores. If its been in there awhile just for peace of mind go head and replace it. Always good to do a T-stat and hoses at the same time if they're aged. Once you're done just fill it 50/50 and burp it. It'd be best to have a shop do a correct flush after that to get all the old coolant out and fill with new but no a big deal if you don't. If you do though, it's best to bring them the Coolant and use a distilled water. Regular water (and air from checking your Copland level) can oxidize the system, over time causing clogs and leaks. But in just anal about my maintenance.

just go buy a bottle of the liquid aluminum at pepboys - it looks just like aluminum flakes in a gooie mess-- its a bars leak product - it will stop that leak

I always carry a bottle - I hate to admit but I've been sealing a leak on my radiator in my truck for acouple yrs - it''ll make it all summer usin the ac and as soon as winter sets in -(lol) its will start to leak-- now this is a leak along the seam where the plastic meets metal -

my daughter had a leak at the water pump weep hole of her car - it hasn't leaked in over 2 yrs

it should definitely hold you till you got time to weld- cost about $7 just pour in radiator and drive away

it has additives which helps seals and lubricate the water pump too

that stuff definitely works as advertised! Great for emergencies. The chance you take is clogged passages, clogged heater core, and getting stuck in the thermostat not allowing it to open and or close. Doesn't always happen but I've done more than a few engine jobs because of radiator stop leak. But again, it has its purpose and does as advertised.

The procedure sounds right. It is a pretty straight forward repair. You will have to fill the rad after install and again once the thermostat opens the first time after the repair.

Hawkes radiator if you want a new one. If not have a shop clean and repair it. That is probably repairable since it is on a metal end cap. Use green anti freeze and distilled water to refill. Change the hoses if they are questionable and replace the thermostat.

Dont buy pre-mix antifreeze. Your just paying for half a bottle of water. Use distilled water only, no tap water.

Harley

• Like 1

Very straight forward.just like you described. Check radiator barn .com they have pretty good pricing.

Anyone remember the sign at Hal's Radiator on 51st and Glendale Ave? Best place in town to take a leak..........

I used some stuff in high school and it worked great. it was a black puddy that you work in the hands and then apply to the outside of the radiator. Hardened up like stone after a few days. Then it shrunk and the leak came back. but a after a second application to fill in where it shrunk it was sealed for good.

it most likely will get worse. fix it now while its small, try doing it yourself with either solder or the puddy, otherwise take it to a radiator shop for a quote, it should be too much. and if you really don't want to deal with any what ifs afterwards, get a new radiator. you dont want it to go out all of the sudden and end up blowing a head gasket or not being able to tag out on that huge Bull :-D

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments everyone. If I try to fix it, I will use some type of application to the outside of the radiator. I never liked the idea of adding stuff to the inside of anything to stop a leak. Even though I have. I may end up getting a new one, but it is hard to find one without plastic.

Your on the right track. Dont put any snake oil in your system. Dont let your repair fail while on your hunt. If you have the time and money. Change it. With new hoses ..you'll never have to worry about it again.

If you do end up with only a repair. Carry extra pre mix coolant in the truck and some emergency putty. Zip ties and towels wouldn't hurt either.