muledeerarea33?

How go you all cook venison roast

I've cooked venison every which way I can think of, from breakfast sausage to barria, to chorizo, to zucchini stuffed burger, to cabeza. And everything in between, it's all been very good! However, I've never been able to get a good roast cooked that's not dry. Aside from wrapping in bacon to get some fat how do you do it? I've got 2 roasts around 3.5lbs. Kidso's bear roast inspired me to find a way lol. I've brined and smoked them and had good deli type slices after, stewed them and it was good, but I'm looking for a recipe where it's not submerged in juice or boiled and stays juicy.

I have used a crock pot. Put in roast, baby potatoes, baby carrots, with some onion chunks. Add water and salt,pepper, and whatever spice you like. Cook on low for about 8 hours.

Yep it's submerged but thats the only way I have tried it

You can marinate to taste and put in smoker also. A neighbor friend of mine did it that way and it was awesome.

Bon Appetit!

Okay.

Here is the deal...

Roasting is a dry cooking method.

Kidso's bear was braised, not roasted. Braising is a wet cooking method.

When you put a piece of meat in a pot with liquid and covered, then simmer over low heat for a long period/ of time...this is braising.

(A crock-pot gives you the same results)

If you cook a piece of meat uncovered and in an oven, this is roasting. Also primarily catered to richer cuts of meat with higher fat content. (like cuts perfect for grilling)

So a cut of meat with good fat marbleization, is a great candidate for grilling and roasting. Therefore, a lean cut of meat, such as venison and elk, will come out dry when roasted.

Personally, I don't even try it, as I know the end result will be bone dry.

Heck, I've even braised (cooked covered and with liquid) Barbary sheep and it still was dry!

When you cooked Birria and Cabeza, it was braised and or stewed slowly in liquid. This gives you a better result.

(That's why when you use beef, which has a higher fat content, these dishes come out absolutely incredible)

Hope i make sense and if you have any questions, please ask!

• Like 7

You make perfect sense and that's about what I was thinking. So if you want to braise a lean roast, a roast that will be dry even after braising. Not talking moisture dry, but more dry to the taste. Would you add beef tallow? Or just enjoy the meat for what it is, lean fat free(almost) organic wild game? I've also tried cooking cherrie, wine, stalk, and roasting bags. Even with birria and cabeza it seems dry. I understand its the nature of the meat and I'm not trying to compare it to beef or pork.

Funny, but Chef figured it all out for me and my bear meat! The bears that I have taken usually are a "tad" greasy or marbled with fat compared to other game I cook and have come out juicy when I have actually roasted them in the oven. I have been braising them in the crockpot out of convenience or laziness, and in those cases I do pour off the juices purposely to reduce marinating the bear meat in its own oil.

I would guess that if you added beef tallow, it would melt, but would not necessarily penetrate the roast to make it any juicier. It would be fun to cook with deer.

Hector will probably want to gouge his eyes out when reading this but my wife puts the meat, carrots, potato chunks and other veggies in the crockpot with cream of onion soup. It's delicious and always falling apart. Throw some home made rolls in the oven and you have a fantastic meal that will help you bulk up for winter.

• Like 1

....So if you want to braise a lean roast, a roast that will be dry even after braising. Not talking moisture dry, but more dry to the taste. Would you add beef tallow? Or just enjoy the meat for what it is, lean fat free(almost) organic wild game?....

You can always drape the roast with caul fat http://moroccanfood.about.com/od/glossary/g/caul_fat.htm or wrap in fatty unsmoked bacon, or baste with juices as it's cooking in the oven. You can always make the roasts a little smaller, so you cook for less time. Remember to always let your roast rest http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/meatrest.html after you take it out of the oven. This reduces the chance of really drying (bleeding) out your roast as you cut into it.

I like to take tender parts of game meat and sear them over a hot skillet. http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/24341-pan-seared-coues-backstrap/?hl=coues This method always turns out great for me, Especially since I like my venison on the rare side.

• Like 1

Hector will probably want to gouge his eyes out when reading this but my wife puts the meat, carrots, potato chunks and other veggies in the crockpot with cream of onion soup. It's delicious and always falling apart. Throw some home made rolls in the oven and you have a fantastic meal that will help you bulk up for winter.

That sounds pretty darn tasty! Easy to prepare too! Sometimes it's the simple things that work best. I know I really enjoy those types of meals as they really seem "homemade" and country style. good eats!

what are your thoughts on injecting your meat? I have used Cajun Butter injection and have had nice results with beef, and want to give it a try on game

• Like 1

http://www.lemproducts.com/recipe_view/14

Corned venison

I love rare to medium rare venison but am not a fan of it cooked well done. Sausage is great for tougher cuts and I found a great recipe on the Lem website for corned venison. I tried it for saint patti's day and it was a big hit. I have done more since with both deer and elk roasts and they are all great. The best part is corned venison and hash from leftovers. Easy to do and no more roasts sitting in the freezer.

I plan to do some more with the last couple chunks of elk from my nephews bull from a couple years ago. I might try to cook a big corned elk roast with a beef one to see if the fat from the beef makes the end product a little more rich.

Ive used a pork roast with the elk or venison roast. works pretty well.

http://www.lemproducts.com/recipe_view/14

Corned venison

I love rare to medium rare venison but am not a fan of it cooked well done. Sausage is great for tougher cuts and I found a great recipe on the Lem website for corned venison. I tried it for saint patti's day and it was a big hit. I have done more since with both deer and elk roasts and they are all great. The best part is corned venison and hash from leftovers. Easy to do and no more roasts sitting in the freezer.

I plan to do some more with the last couple chunks of elk from my nephews bull from a couple years ago. I might try to cook a big corned elk roast with a beef one to see if the fat from the beef makes the end product a little more rich.

My brother corned an elk heart one time. Sliced it thin and made some amazing sandwiches.

In a glassware pan in the oven at 300 degrees with thick cut bacon over the top and halved potatoes and chopped onions. I add a little bit of water in the bottom of the pan and a shot or two of JD then cover it in aluminum foil.

Love the whiskey/bourbon idea. I've tried almost every other way so far. Last week I heated some grass fed beef fat (was making pemekin) I injected some fat in a venison roast, it came out so good I used hot horseradish on it like prime rib. Roasted red potatoes, onions, corn, carrots, and of course ranch beans! Didn't want to even move after!

• Like 1