Sonof12

Great southern AZ hunt

What a fantastic week down in southern AZ. We saw so many Deer we stopped counting in addition to some Antelope, a really nice Bear, Javelina, a Fox, a nice Bobcat, and even a Ringtail cat. Anyway, we saw some small bucks we didn't want to or could try and pursue early on and waited for a huge amount of the road/quad/rhino hunters to leave which most did on Sunday. That evening I got on a decent buck (80-90" range) for a first time hunter friend in some rugged terrain. After some serious angle compensation calculations and clearing a shooting path he launched a few shots but unfortunately couldn't connect. The next morning and last full day had us in the same general area where I glassed up a decent buck again in that 80+ range. I decided to make a move on it and started a 400 yard stalk to get into a better angle and range for a shot. 15 minutes later had me at 450 yards and about a -7 look angle. I felt good about the range and set up for a shot. 10 minutes later the buck stood up and I let a round go...missed...right over it's back. Another quick shot had me just over its back again and he and his lady friend were gone. I was so baffled as I had practiced and practiced up to 1000 yards to make those 400-500 yard range shots more easy. After thinking through the shot and reviewing my equipment and settings I decided to quickly head down to see if I could pick them back up. After about 10 minutes of glassing I realized that opportunity was gone. Well, I don't give up easy so started looking for my 2nd chance. Sure enough, one ridge over I spotted movement and saw a buck headed up a ridge. I quickly moved to get into position, ranged a target area at 400 yards, backed off my elevation a bit, and waited for the buck to step out from behind an Ocotillo. 30 seconds later he did and I squeezed off the shot...this time there was that unmistakable sound of a bullet hitting its mark and my hunt was over. Although not a big buck, I was still as happy as could be. The pack out was hot, steep, and a big challenge but with my friend and dads help, we got it done. In the end, I am most grateful for another great hunting experience with my old man...I know there won't be many more of those left and cherish them dearly.

post-3881-0-10521200-1414551491_thumb.jpg

post-3881-0-14996100-1414551519_thumb.jpg

post-3881-0-33486500-1414551617_thumb.jpg

post-3881-0-00826800-1414551670_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Nice job!

Congratulations on taking your buck. Sometimes things work out after making minor adjustments.

Glad you could figure it out and connect.

Always nice to get out with your Dad!

Sweet job! Tell us more about the nice big bear you saw on your hunt. What color was it and what was it doing?

The bear must have been spooked from hunters as we were all sitting on a ridge glassing and over a ridge he came trotting right towards us all. He slowed to a fast walk and ended up about 150 yards in front of us just walking along. I got him to stop a couple times with a few grunts but he just kept cruising along. He was big - probably around 350-400 pounds and was a deep brown almost auburn color. One of the prettiest I've ever seen. It was great having newbie hunters also to experience that.

Congrats on a nice Buck. Makes everything better when you get to share with friends and your Dad. Thanks for the write up.