Coues 'n' Sheep

Opinions wanted on Heavy duty trucks

I love my 6.7 powerstroke. The thing flat out moves! Havent had the chance to tow anything with it, but I don't doubt she will do it with ease.

I think a lot of the problems with the 6.0 are with people that mod it. My son-in-law is a mechanic at Ford, and he will agree with this. I have owned a 6.0 for 8+ years, but luckily only have 97K+ on the motor. No issues, it is totally stock. I would say at least half of those miles are towing at least 8K# behind it, and sometimes over 14K#. The body, even though it has a lot of AZ pinstripes, has had 0 issues as well. Interior? Looks like a 2 year old truck, not an 8 year old interior. The only rattle I have is somewhere in the back passenger side, and I cannot find it. Rattles drive me nuts. Maybe something in the door, but who knows.

The ONLY thing that does not work on it is the power sliding rear window actuator cable broke.

I am a Ford guy too. We also have numerous 4x4 Fords for work.

An old 7.3 w. over 300K on it and still going strongish. Getting ready to be retired though. Front end is kind of scary loose.

A 6.0 that has had no issues other than a EGR with over 250K

A 6.4 that has been a PITA up to 120K.

A 6.4 that has been fine for over 130K.

Two 6.7s that freaking ROCK! Run like a scared jackrabbit, tow like nothing is behind them. The crew cab rides like a dream. The xtra cab rides like a buckboard.

We have some Dodges too.

Mostly 2011 and newer. They do pretty well too. No issues with the motor. Had one tranny need some work. But they have rattled themselves to death within 80K each. Of course, we give them to the tower crews who seem to think that they don't need to take care of them. But they tow just fine, get good mileage, and have plenty of power.

I think all the newer trucks are WAY overpriced.

Gino

I have a new Dodge 3500 Cummins this is my second Dodge and not one issue with the dodge product.

a ton of power,can pull anything, braking no issue I run the engine brake all the time Love it , I was a Ford guy then tried a Dodge would no go back.

The DEF/Blue fluid can be bought at any auto store / Wal-Mart for around $8:00 a gallon I keep a gallon in my trailer and never let the level get passed half. I am sure the Ford and Chevy are great trucks as well.

Test them all! Good luck.

I'm a Ford guy but the 6.7 is hands down the best I've ever driven. I have a F350 for work with 144k and zero issues and a lot of those miles are pulling very heavy trailers. I also have a F250 with 110k and only issue was the EGT sensor but still didn't leave me stranded. These are just my experiences but look around the forums and you'll find much of the same.

I am a huge fan of the cummins motor which means I choose dodges. I have about a decade and 250k miles under my belt in cummins trucks and will deal with the subpar interiors to keep a Cummins motor under the hood. I have towed up to about 18k behind a couple different trucks with no issues. They have all been great trucks with only minor and or normal known issues. They have all been pre 07 when the PDF filters or DEF fluid was required.

I just bought my 2005 Cummins Dodge because it was pre emissions and plan to keep it for a long time.

Harley

Diesel trucks have come a long way in just 8 years. I'm a ford guy and have a bulletproof 6.0. With them bulletproof you don't have oil cooler problems, EGR problems, or head studs. It work the way it was supposed to. I pulled a 12k lbs trailer with the old tank engine 7.3. Now with the the 6.0 I've notice it's lot smoother and pulls faster up hill with the 12k trailer. I was doing 60- to 55 mph up those big hills from flagstaff to phx and guess what those ford 6.7 pulling bigger trailers blew by me like I was standing still. So my point the Big 3 today's trucks will dance all round my 6.0. Pick one that you like and feel. But I must say I love the ford 6.7. Google it and there was a 2014 diesel shoot out. Ford over all own but there are pros and cons to all of them. Good luck

Tried to send you a P.M. Whatever you decide on look up Lawley Ford in Silver City New Mexico. Small hole in the wall run down dealership. Best trade in quote sight unseen, every possible rebate, 2 hours in and out the door. They have low overhead and they move trucks. They also sell Dodges and Chevy trucks.

Spent months wheeling and dealing at AZ. dealerships. Saved almost 6K through a simple E mail. Nobody else was even close to that.

Another thing you might try is that if a truck sits on a lot for two hundred days Ford allows the dealer to knock off another 2K. They won't like the fact that you know this. Jeff at Lawley gave me a bottom dollar price, 13K off window sticker, no city tax, you pay 5.9% AZ. tax upon purchase.

Most painless buy I ever made.

• Like 2

Why does Ford use the 6.7 Cummins in their big boy commercial trucks (650/750) and not the "legendary 6.7 scorpion engine"?

http://m.ford.com/smartphone/nameplate.html?cid=commercial-truck&mid=F-650-750&year=2015#appsimHome

Was that $13k off with the trade-in allowance? What did you have for a trade-in? What did they give you for it? You can PM with particulars. Thank you.

Why does Ford use the 6.7 Cummins in their big boy commercial trucks (650/750) and not the "legendary 6.7 scorpion engine"?

http://m.ford.com/smartphone/nameplate.html?cid=commercial-truck&mid=F-650-750&year=2015#appsimHome

Because of a prior contract agreement...once it expires you can bet your butt ford will use the better 6.7 scorpion.

• Like 1

Good input guys... keep it coming...

Where are the GM Guys?? I wanna here some D-max input... the 2006 D-max I have is the strongest puller I have ever owned better than my old 24 valve cummins was, better than my 7.3 is or was... so I am Curious... gotta say my D-max has been nickel and dime'ing me to death lately. <_<

All this 6.0 bashing, I don't get it! I have an 04 f350 6.0 that has 310k and I have replaced one alternator, ficm, batteries and tires, shocks, break pads and rotors, and one EGR valve. Still have the Same injectors. Just keep up on all the maintenance, no tunes, and they are great.

My previous 7.3 was sold with over 500k and was needing injectors but still ran and pulled. Great trucks!

What engineering marvel or phenomenon makes the 6.7 different than any other POS Ford has bent the american consumer over the table with? Ford loves to build it, sell it and let the customer test it! Then they build something different and said process repeats. Anything Ford designs should be labeled "Experimental". If they spent half the money on Research and Development as they do marketing, they wouldn't be such a mediocre auto manufacturer. Ford Motor Company and Murphy's Law go together like whiskey and hunting.

Guest wdenike

What engineering marvel or phenomenon makes the 6.7 different than any other POS Ford has bent the american consumer over the table with? Ford loves to build it, sell it and let the customer test it! Then they build something different and said process repeats. Anything Ford designs should be labeled "Experimental". If they spent half the money on Research and Development as they do marketing, they wouldn't be such a mediocre auto manufacturer. Ford Motor Company and Murphy's Law go together like whiskey and hunting.

But on a brighter note they didn't take any bail out money!! :D :D :D Now if they could get the rest of the equation figured out. They would be at the top of the mountain all alone. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Take care, Willie

• Like 3

I agree with Regan,

Fords diesel history the last 10 years has been anything but true to the company's reputation. Every generation of any manufacturer has its pros and cons. I have decided to thoroughly study each generation of each manufacturer when paying upwards if $60K on a newer truck. Not just the engine but the whole vehicle. ALL!! of them have their flaws so you have to pick the less evil.

In my research I Identified the flaws and researched the "fix" for these flaws. Long story short my top picks would be...

1.) 2006-early 2007 Duramax LBZ (add Kryptonite tierods)

2.) 2011-Present Duramax LML (add Kryptonite tierods)

3.) 2013-Present 6.7 Cummins with (Aisan AS69RC Transmission only) I really think Ram is onto something here.

Notes:

The only reason the Duramax LBZ takes pick over the LML is still a pre regeneration.

• Like 1