Coues 'n' Sheep

Opinions wanted on Heavy duty trucks

I know lots of guys here have opinions and I wanna hear them!! I am considering ordering a new Pickup after the first of the year... and am wondering about Chevy, Ford, Dodge.... 350,450,550 or 3500,4500,5500 trucks...

How are the new motors?

How are the Transmissions?

How do the new trucks pull?

How do they stop?

How do they ride?

4x4?

Thanks!!

• Like 1

Well you should have enough time to do some research. I'd start by finding some brand specific forums and see what the current owners are saying about known issues. Here is the one for the AZ Ford Diesel Owners. http://www.azpsg.com/forum.php

You should also call Nate at Strictly Diesel and pick his brain. https://www.strictlydiesel.com/default.aspx

Just bought a F250 with the 6.7. I have always been a chevy guy but this worked out to be the best truck I could get for the money I was willing to spend. Pulled my fifth wheel up some steep grades. I was happy it finally got to 2200 RPM. Runs like an absolute beast. Engine braking and transmission have been awesome on the downhills. I wish I would have gotten the .335 gears instead of the .355 for a little better mileage because it has plenty of power for what I tow at any speeds. Rides better than any 3/4 ton truck I have been in. Great rebates on 14's right now.

• Like 1

My buddy just bought a new duramax and I guess the exhaust has some kind of new fluid you put in and it's expensive, and if you run it dry the truck pretty much stops running, so if you are in the middle of nowhere and you run out.... you get the picture. I heard this new technology was started with 2012 models and newer. Maybe I'm making a bigger deal about than it should be.

I just picked up a 14 ram 2500 with the new 6.4 gasser. For a gas motor, it has great power. Mileage is good. The new suspension on the 14 and up rams is awesome. Coil spring rear, and a new front suspension as well. Rides great! As far as towing, all reports say it does good, but I have not had a chance to test it out yet.

• Like 1

My buddy just bought a new duramax and I guess the exhaust has some kind of new fluid you put in and it's expensive, and if you run it dry the truck pretty much stops running, so if you are in the middle of nowhere and you run out.... you get the picture. I heard this new technology was started with 2012 models and newer. Maybe I'm making a bigger deal about than it should be.

i know this exhaust fluid is in the fords as well. i drive a 2012 6.7 ltr ford as a company vehicle. its not as big a hassle as it seems, although it does get annoying. there is a message that comes on the dash telling you when you have 500 miles left before you run out, and then the truck wont go over 50 mph i think, but dont quote me on the speed. it is a solid truck with plenty of power, even with a utility bed full of tools and roof rack for garage doors on it. some of the guys have had their new fords in the shop a few times, and havent reached 100k yet on the mileage, im not sure what for, but i can find out.

Im a ford fan, but have you towed one latlely. 7.3 tranny problems. 6.0 every problem. 6.7 I dont need the problem. Cummins are great , but the dodge body is sub par.

it's called addblue or urea, it's a federal emissions mandate as of a few years ago. A 2.5 gallon bottle costs around $15 most vehicles take from 3-7 gallons every 10,000 miles. Usually a warning in the cluster is given with X amount of miles left to drive. Yes it's a hassle but its what the modern diesel has to have to meet the standards.

I also have a 4.5 power stroke that has been towed 5 times it has 56, 000 miles. "Have you towed a ford latley" .

Im a ford fan, but have you towed one latlely. 7.3 tranny problems. 6.0 every problem. 6.7 I dont need the problem. Cummins are great , but the dodge body is sub par.

I agree. I'd love a cummins engine, Allison trans, ford suspension and axles, and a chevy body.
  • Like 2

The new fords 6.7 is a beast. No problems. Dont let anyone with old ford experience as far as 6.0 or 6.4 talk you out of them. I like the gmc just as much. Dont see much difference between them as far as performance.

I have a couple different buddy's with the 6.7's. They love them. One buddy liked them so much he actually has a couple now. They pretty much are always hooked to a trailer and do an awesome job so they say.

Im a ford guy, and yes I work at a dealership. im telling you the 6.7 is an awesome engine, you will be seeing the 6.7 around for another 5 years, they have no plans to change it. I could tell you some secrets....lol but id rather share in private. It rides better than most. Will tow anything, as they all will. They all use DEF fluid, so what, fill it up only when you change the oil, no biggie. There are no problems with ford transmissions, i mean none. The only downfall to a 6.7 is the engine braking could be more aggressive when towing. Are you towing something very heavy? A properly equipped f-150 will tow 11,300 lbs.....

i see them ALL every single day at work. ford is the best. im not saying it just because i am a ford guy, its just the facts. now if you break it down to specifics each brand has good and bad but honestly ford is overall the best. its not even close.

• Like 1