Cola Blanca

Opening day success, first coues for my two boys.

Opening day of the youth hunt I took my two boys out on their hunt. This was my 15 year olds third tag and my 12 year olds first. We hiked into a area that we thought would be a great area to hunt. We made it in and were set up and glassing before the sun started to light up the area. We found a nice buck right off but he must of spotted us first because he was moving out of the area quickly. We glassed the area some more and then decided to go after the buck we had seen. We went into the canyon found that it was very narrow and steep. We decided to hike to the top and see if we could find the buck. When we got to the top of the saddle we set down and started glassing and within a short time noticed two deer 200 yards away. We verified that they were both bucks, my 15 year old grabbed the rifle and was on the first buck. I ranged the distance and it was 222 yards, I told my son to hold right on the buck and let the shot go. He pulled the trigger and it was a perfect hit, the buck went down and was done. My 12 year old grabbed the gun and found his buck and told me he was on him, I told him to shoot him in the neck because the buck was facing our direction. He let his shot fly and the buck was down. They both shot their deer using a Remington 243, I had just purchased a bipod and it made all the difference, they were able to shoot from the prone position and did a great job. There was some serious celebration going on and I was proud of my boys, they were cool and calm through the whole process. We hiked over to where their bucks were and took some pictures. We were done by 8:30 in the morning and were on our way home an hour later. This will be hard to top but we will enjoy it until the next experience comes around.

post-2012-0-19877700-1414727065_thumb.jpg

post-2012-0-09677400-1414727223_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Congrats to the crew for a short but awesome hunt. That experience will be remembered & talked about at a lot of campfires for years!! tough one to top next yr dad... Good Luck!

• Like 1

Totally awesome they got a double! Congratulations to your boys, what great memories are made from!

• Like 1

OUTSTANDING!!!! Absolutely LOVE that pic of your two boys with their bucks! That represents a priceless memory forever!!!

Thanks for sharing with the site!

S.

:)

• Like 1

Great bucks for the boys. Good job Dad on getting them into the sport. Long hunting careers in the future.