GRONG

Lion Scratches (pics)

You can also try what Trappers have been using for ages. CATNIP!! I've never actually tried it but I've read it works quite well bringing the Toms back again and again.

You mean give up the snake oil and gimmicks and just try some simple, time-tested wisdom first!? :huh:

Worth a shot - anyone got a cat scratch their not using? Preferably close to the Superior / Globe area.

hard to say for sure, but that doesn't look like a lion kill. they usually do a better job of covering it up and tend to eat a lot more of it the first meal. were there any tracks you could make out around it? looks more like coyotes got that one. Lark.

It was a lion for sure Lark.

I think the birds had gotten to the one Tyson's dog found and uncovered most of it.

Sometimes lions cover them real well.....

post-192-1173831184_thumb.jpg

and sometimes they don't.....

post-192-1173831254_thumb.jpg

This kill was found really fresh and the lion had only opened up the chest cavity and ate a few organs on the first meal.....

post-192-1173831435_thumb.jpg

The hair was all clipped off too, which is classic for a lion kill. And yes, there were tracks around it ;)

hard to say for sure, but that doesn't look like a lion kill. they usually do a better job of covering it up and tend to eat a lot more of it the first meal. were there any tracks you could make out around it? looks more like coyotes got that one. Lark.

As I found it:

post-1107-1173831654_thumb.jpg

post-1107-1173831613_thumb.jpg

post-1107-1173831704_thumb.jpg

You can also try what Trappers have been using for ages. CATNIP!! I've never actually tried it but I've read it works quite well bringing the Toms back again and again.

Never had any luck with that catnip stuff :( ..... believe it or not... :huh: .... Skunk Essence always worked great for us..... back before the Fargen Bunny Huggers took the trappin' rights away. :angry:

Great thread guys, lots of useful info!

Thanks,

Mark

I agree :P Thats why I think we should have a Lion section on this forum ;) Keep after um....P.S. pics like this really gets the ol ticker movin quik. Thanks Guy's

remember this one, guys?? I found it last year up in the hills in 36B..

you can see the bite marks on the windpipe. Also, I think the dead giveaway for it being a lion kill was the rather large lion tracks all around the "crime scene"... woulda been a good deer too.

lionkill.jpg

This kill was completely covered and only a little of it had been eaten. The night this pic was taken she tore it all up and unfortunately moved the kill out of the view of the camera!

post-3-1173855560_thumb.jpg

Here is a kill that a lion visited when we were chasing it this winter. It was pulled way up underneath a big juniper, and we figured that the lion had killed it before the snow and was coming by again.

Josh, have you found that the bigger more dominant toms are the ones that make most of the scratches? I have not done a bunch of lion hunting, but I have chased a few and have never found many scratches.

post-213-1173885445_thumb.jpg