Sign in to follow this  
backcountry_brad

late season hunting gear

I have a late season bull tag and there will likely be snow where i am hunting and this will be my first time hunting in the snow. i am debating whether or not i should get water resistant pants or just bring something to sit on while glassing. any thoughts or recommendations?

• Like 1

Keeping my hands and feet warm before the sun comes up is what gets me. Lots of large hand Warmers. The small ones are not enough.a nice seat cushion also. Good luck!

Hard to keep warm when your clothes are wet. Wool doesn't lose its thermal properties - even when wet. Other than that - Gortex.

I bought one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WalkStool-Comfort-XL-55cm-22-Hiking-Camping-Lightweight-Folding-Camp-Stool-/141460582592?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20efb530c0

Great investment. Keeps you comfortable and up off the ground.

• Like 1

In just a little bit of snow, I have used snake gaiters to keep my legs dry from knee down. Seems to help from water seeping through the top end of your boots.

Trash bags are the way to go

those sound like good ideas, thanks guys

Trash bags are the way to go, they will save you a shoot ton in the long run

Smart wool long underwear are one of the best hunting purchases I have made in the last few years.

Layers are the best but I would be more worried about your boots getting wet than your pants.

Hard to keep warm when your clothes are wet. Wool doesn't lose its thermal properties - even when wet. Other than that - Gortex.

I bought one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WalkStool-Comfort-XL-55cm-22-Hiking-Camping-Lightweight-Folding-Camp-Stool-/141460582592?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20efb530c0

Great investment. Keeps you comfortable and up off the ground.

The walkstool is awesome!

I would get waterproof insulated gear for sure. I HATE being cold and/or wet on a hunt. I just dropped $600+ on my daughter for her elk hunt in November.

Last time I had a late elk hunt (16 years ago), it was -4° to 20° and snowy for a week straight. It sucked. But the meat was tasty.