Sign in to follow this  
Sneaker

Buffalo in unit 18a?

I got several buffalo on trail cams in 18a recently. One has an ear tag. Can any rancher run them, or are these some long lost souls from another herd that have traveled over 100 miles from one of the well known herds?

post-8768-0-06203000-1415555426_thumb.jpg

post-8768-0-18677100-1415555431_thumb.jpg

post-8768-0-37387400-1415555437_thumb.jpg

post-8768-0-44611300-1415555443_thumb.jpg

I do not believe they are fair game as buffalo in AZ are consdered a game animal. These would be like finding sheep in a unit that does not have a hunt for them. It would be closed to buffalo unless G & F made tags available with an established hunt.

• Like 1

Game animals in units with no season just become watchable wildlife. Got a bear in 16a that I wouldn't mind chasing, but no open season there.

The ranch in kingman currently has an 8 year old bull, a cow and 2 yearlings from what I was told this morning. Don't think they could of came from anywhere else.

Awesome if the ranch is stocking 18 a with Buffs...more opportunity once they get established...

Game and Fish aren't stocking these buffalo. They are livestock and belong to Scotty Dunton and the North Fort Rock Ranch. They are NOT huntable.

Not legally...wink

• Like 1

I think someones found a cool loophole here. Buy some bison, graze them on public or state trust land lease, have hunters come out and "manage" your herd for a fee. I would bet you could charge way more for a free range bison tag than an elk tag.

I'm not sure it's really a loophole. Those are domesticated bison, being raised as livestock, even if it is free range-ish.

There are literally dozens of these operations all over the west. Last one I talked to was charging maybe $2500 unguided.

In my mind if I wanted to shoot a wild cow, I would just shoot a wild cow.