daverp

Late Rifle Bull Hunters...Almost Time. Check in!

Two weeks out. Who's going, where are you going, what are your goals, what will you settle for?

Leaving next Friday night for my son's U10 rifle bull hunt. It has taken him 10 years to draw this tag. He's had one previous elk hunt about 8 years ago, when I signed my 7W tag over to him. He missed on a nice 6x opening morning, and decided to take his first big game animal, a spike, on day 3 of the hunt. He was happy, and I was happy for him. Happy for myself that I did not have to walk another step on a severely sprained ankle that hunt. It worked out. Great memories to watch him hang his bull out of the same tree we hung bulls on with my old man and his buddies 25 years prior.

Since then, together we've collected the buck in my avatar, and he's taken a few decent bucks on his own, back where he lives in Kansas, using what he's learned hunting with his "old man" back in my home of AZ. Kid is confounding the road hunting Kansas hillbillies with is success with spot and stalk that he's learned in AZ, back in Kansas!

We've had some amazing hunts. This time, it's back to U10. Looking to hunt hard, and see if we can wrap his tag on a nice "representative" 6x6 bull. Don't care about score. If he's a nice lookin' 6x, we're going to try to get the boy's tag on it. His other option is a "toad 5x5". We'll talk more over the campfire next weekend, but as of now, he's holding out for a toad 5x5, or a nice looking 6x.

Feeling pretty good about the possibilities. The bulls we were seeing a couple weeks ago during the deer hunt were not all broken up. Saw some nice bulls. Actually quite a few nice bulls. Broken up bulls this year were the exception rather than the rule. For a change.

Love to hunt in the snow, and always loved that first "Thanksgiving day, elk opener snow" that N.AZ seems to get, but am hoping the current weather holds out. Last year for my nephew's U10 bull hunt, had a heavy snow (by Seligman area standards anyway) and we had 4" to 6" on the ground, and the all to comfortable "wimpy U10 elk" as I jokingly referred to them last year, seemed to scoot to lower ground immediately to get out of it. We were too late last year figuring that out, and by the time we did, the inversion layer and fog rolled in, ruining a couple day's glassing opportunities. After that, wasn't but a couple days left on the hunt, and we came up empty. This year, I believe we're ready for that contingency, however, and have our "plan B" and "plan C" ready should they get pressured or scoot out of the area due to weather.

Finally, as to what we'll "settle for"? The son and I will talk. As much as I want...and NEED (okay, "need" is too strong of a word..."overwhelmingly desire" is a better description) some elk or venison in the freezer again, I don't believe this will be a meat hunt, even on day 7. The nephew took an awesome buck last week, and I'm hoping to obtain a few pounds of venison from that. Other than that, the boy wants a decent bull. I believe we'll hunt through evening of day 7 trying to obtain that...and if we don't...still feel incredibly fortunate for the experience and opportunity.

If you're holding or assisting on a late rifle bull tag...fill us in.

Nice post man. I drew my first big game tag (other than OTC archery deer). Late bull in 10 as well. I'm a restaurant manager and usually work 60 hours or more a week plus having a one year old and 3 year old at home I haven't had much time to make it out scouting other than a couple trips to the Williams corner. I wasn't satisfied with what I saw there so I bought a permit for Big Bo and will be heading there to check it out on Tuesday and once again a couple days before thanksgiving. I know scouting is crucial but this is the best my schedule can allow.

My best friend from New Mexico is going to come out for the first weekend. He is experienced and hopefully I can get lucky enough to get something while he is there with me. Otherwise ill be on my own!

This is my last chance to get my first big game animal before I turn 30 in January. I really want to make it happen. I'm not holding out for a trophy but I won't shoot a spike or raghorn either.

Good luck to all the arrow fingers out there right now and to all of us lucky enough to get drawn!

My 12 year old daughter has a 7W bull tag. Her goal is a mature bull. But, it is totally her call on what she will take. I just want to have a blast with my kid.

My 13 year old daughter and myself both drew 3b muzzy bull tags this will be her first elk hunt she is excited and really wants to take a nice mature bull as well. As for me my number one goal is to help her fill her tag because she really needs to be back in school on Monday good luck to every one.

22n with the boy. He is 21 now and just showing interest so we are looking for any legal elk crossing our paths. Work has him there 1 day so pressure is on. Anyone spotting a blue Cheby with our sticker in the back window stop and say hi, cuz there probably aren't any elk there if I'm there!

Good luck all!

Late 27 bull for me. I will be holding out for 330+ I know the realities of that, but I already have taken two 6 point archery bulls this year so it's big or bust for me. My 12 year old son and my dad will be there with me.

Late 27 bull for me. I will be holding out for 330+ I know the realities of that, but I already have taken two 6 point archery bulls this year so it's big or bust for me. My 12 year old son and my dad will be there with me.

Im sure this is not the case, but your post sounds like you are after your 3rd bull this year.

wife has 3b. first scouting trip was this morning. saw at least fifty elk and was less than twenty minutes from my house

post-4480-0-56587100-1416070867_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-17108200-1416071059_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Im sure this is not the case, but your post sounds like you are after your 3rd bull this year.

I am after my 3rd bull this year. I took a 6 point archery bull in OR and took a 6 point archery bull in WY. The WY bull is my profile pic. So holding out for something bigger than I already have this year is my goal.

I am after my 3rd bull this year. I took a 6 point archery bull in OR and took a 6 point archery bull in WY. The WY bull is my profile pic. So holding out for something bigger than I already have this year is my goal.

Thats awesome! Good luck.

My dad and I will be in 5B trying to fill both tags, he is holding out for a big one, I'm shooting the first non spike or raghorn I see. I harvested a spike when I was younger so now I want something at least a little bigger