lancetkenyon

New 6.5 SLR Build

I'm a little jealous of how fast this went together for you. My smith is sitting on a heap of parts waiting on Manners to ship my stock. Looks good. I'm ready for a range report and chrono numbers.

Going to be putting it together tonight, and will definitely be out at the range on Saturday morning. Just trying to decide if I want to go to Ben Avery, or go straight out to my LR spot and get sighted in, then shoot a 400 yard ladder test...and maybe try a 1K steel shot to break it in......leaning towards that if weather is good.

I won't spoil the anticipation with lousy cell phone photos, but I will break out the digital camera when I get home.

Okay why are we not seeing pics of this rifle?!

You are killing my productivity. I've logged on twice now to see the much anticipated progress of your 2nd paint scheme and now to see the completed cannon only to find a barren wasteland of zero pics.

I got home last night, and after dinner, put together the rest of the components, cleaned the rifle thoroughly (which was already pretty much spotless), and lubed it up with some Frog Lube on the necessary moving parts. I verified all hardware was torqued to spec, and all were dead on. Did a quick bore sight on a light at 200 yards away, so I should be close when I make it to the range this weekend. I gained a lot of elevation travel back from a 0 MOA mount to the 20MOA rail. I think I got back what seems like 9MIL at initial bore sighting. I know I had to go up 12MIL with my AR to sight in at 200 (factory settings are for use with a 40MOA rail), and I am bore sighted now at +3MIL, but that will change a bit once I get it on the range. I just wanted to make sure I have a little down (3.3MILS before I hit the 0 stop) in case I need it. I also need to run it all the way up to see how much actual elevation travel I have once I get it sighted in with a 200 yard 0. Scope is at 1.84" over bore vs. 2.3" over bore with the AR, so that would be some of the difference too. I also set the cheek piece to fit both my daughter and me comfortably, and added my padded cheek rest after the photos, and fiddled with the ocular focus on the scope just a bit more to perfect it for my eyes. The fit of the stock for me is fantastic. Good LOP, comfortable cheek weld, and the palm swell feels nice. My daughter is comfortable behind it as well.

My first impressions are really good. Fit and finish are top notch. I cannot even see where the muzzle brake and barrel meet, and I love the Badger Thruster brake not having ports on the bottom to kick up sand/dust, and the side ports are actually angled up just a bit as well. The bedding job is awesome (I will take it apart again after the first outing and get photos then, but you can see the edges in the photos). The Timney trigger is super crisp and REALLY light, not sure what it is set at, but dang. Safety works smoothly with no drag on the stock inletting, and is nice and crisp with a slight audible "click" when it engages. Bolt runs smooth, even with the CeraKote applied, and it will only get better with running it. I will get the gun on the scale and see what finished weight is, but it is pretty stout, I am thinking north of 13#? This, along with the muzzle brake should make shooting it a real pleasure, but definitely not "pack it over mountains and canyons" friendly. That is OK with me though, as it is more of a recreation gun, and will serve as a LR hunting rifle second. I am already planning a lighter LR hunter in the nearish future (if I draw an elk tag this year which I doubt).

I opted for a Coyote Tan CeraKote, as I knew I was going to paint my stock, so don't think the monochromatic scheme will stay, but I wanted the metal to match the base color of the stock. It might not be for some folks, but I love it so far, even without the stock painted. I am debating on having the scope CeraKoted, but not positive on that right now.

I still need to check final seating depth on bullets, but PCR had a round to ensure everything was good, so I am sure it will be fine. I might even have room to pull them out a touch, depending on what I find this afternoon when I get home. I like to do load development with the bullets jammed .0010, to ensure they would be at max pressure, and it would never go up, only down when I start messing with seating depths.

I will also add up all of my receipts tonight, to see what the total was for a complete new gun (minus action), all new reloading components, scope and mounts, b-pod, etc. My goal was to keep everything under $6K, and I think I made that goal. Not bad for a custom rifle, new top tier optics, and all reloading components. And with all of the items I sold, I should be able to figure out what my actual out-of-pocket costs were too, as I have a list of all of the profits I made.

I swear, I might have to ditch work tomorrow......

I would like to get home today and have some sun for some better lighting, but here are photos from last night with my lousy flash. I will also get some more paint done on the practice stocks, so I can start on the real deal next week.

002_zpsqfimyuc7.jpg

010_zpsxkaauvsk.jpg

015_zpssg55ure6.jpg

014_zpsqetfwyds.jpg

017_zps5oxqtnst.jpg

008_zpsduu8broq.jpg

022_zpszxfakzm5.jpg

024_zpsmscwhoxu.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Looks great. Very cool when they come together. Lookin forward to seeing your paint job.

I had to go back and check the specs on that glass. Looks good as well.

If it shoots as good as it looks, you will be carrying that thing all over the hills hunting, regardless of the weight.

Have you considered having the stock Hydro dipped with the exact camo you are trying to duplicate?

Nice looking rig! adding the multicam to the stock is gonna make that gun POP!! I'm sure with PCR it will shoot as good as it is going to look.

If it shoots as good as it looks, you will be carrying that thing all over the hills hunting, regardless of the weight.

Have you considered having the stock Hydro dipped with the exact camo you are trying to duplicate?

Not hydro-dipping, but I have thought about having Custom Gun Coatings do the paint for me. But then I wouldn't have a project for the summer months!

So, I think I will try it a few more times to tweak the results, including using smaller stencils for the white/dark brown portions, but not too bad of a turnout this attempt. If only the cheap plastic stock would allow the paint to stick better....

20150127_165957_zpsjaupvotw.jpg

20150127_170904_zpscsfpw7md.jpg

20150127_170917_zps9tb9fsz1.jpg

20150127_172456_zpsj0azzwi7.jpg

20150127_172521_zps0isfrgwp.jpg

20150127_172557_zpsrpdnvxab.jpg

20150127_172644_zpsseeiruyj.jpg