goatsie

Best Ranges in AZ?

You are exactly right my friend. Many of us fancy ourselves to be deadeyes, but punching holes in paper tells the tale, and sometimes it is a bitter pill to swallow - especially if there is a little 8 or 10 mph wind. If there is 18 - 20 mph of wind, it will truly be an eye-opener for some. Banging gongs is great fun, mostly because the occasional hits are encouraging, but there is no real way to analyze what is happening with your misses. Best use of gongs and silhouettes, at least for me, is when they have a fresh coat of paint, and there is little wind. Then they are ideal for checking your long-range zero, and taking note of how close your turret graduations match the actual range. They are also helpful in seeing just how far a little wind will blow your bullet. Both holding off, and dialing for wind are effective, but there is no substitute for seeing effects of wind, and also performance of different bullets.

For those who only shoot factory ammo, and who base the limitations of their shooting on the little ballistic table on the box, field verification would be worth its weight in gold in assessing how far they are (or should be) confident in shooting. Sometimes the mfg. claims can be optimistic.

I agree that a couple of trips to the range winter and summer, during both wind and no wind conditions, would make all of us better shooters, and a little more thoughtful when a long shot on a game animal presents itself. Rifle shooting, like archery, responds to practice in the same way. If you practice at long range, and from field positions (not just a bench) the 300 - 400 yd. shots (which many people should avoid) will seem easy, and the 500 yd. shots will be very reasonable.

The Gunwerks guys (and some others) make consistent one shot kills at extreme ranges. Sometimes I wonder about the misses or wounded critters that don't show up on youtube, but there is no question that those guys work at long-range shooting, and take each variable into consideration. They must practice year-round. Also, their rifles and loads are really tuned - not just based on ballistics software, but from actual shooting. They must be gifted in terms of vision and hand-eye coordination as well. I know I am not!

forepaw

Safford +1

No range masters.

Sometimes you are all alone.

Best range I have been too.

Jeff

Jim,

LOL....Stafford

I have only shot at Ben Avery,PHX R&G, and Rio Salado which are both useful for working on new loads, setting up a new scope, or other short range work. I have my own steel and equipment so I end up shooting long range on my own.

A range where you could shoot long range would be awesome!

I also have to say that Rio Salado (I was a member) is a horrible place to go and take new shooters or young shooters. A couple of those guys have huge chips on their shoulders and look for every opportunity to wield their power and yell or belittle the people who show up. I know it is a safety issue but I have been shooting all of my life, have thick skin, and don't intimidate easily, and they have made me uncomfortable when they are dressing down a guy walking in or a someone next to me. Seems I have a story about every other time I head out there.

One last thing... How hard is it to have rifle shooters on one side and hand guns or semi-autos on the other. Again Rio used to be good at this a long time ago but now I am almost guaranteed to have a guy throwing pistol or AR cases at me the entire time I am shooting.

Sorry to vent but those are the things that make my range time less enjoyable and are probably pretty easy to fix.

Our range at the Havasu Sportsman club is pretty nice. Only out to 300 yards for rifle is the only drawback. Oh, and half the year it's too dang hot to go shooting. I burnt some powder in the 44 mag the other day. Several separate pistol/rimfire bays. I had one all to myself which was really nice. The also have trap and skeet, both are pretty decent. Nice hight berms between the pistol bays and the rifle bays. Knocks down the noise and gives you a much safer feeling.

I hate ben avery. The best range for me is 45 minutes north of greenway on I-17 , prescott national forest. I always have the range to myself. The only time it doesn't work is during a stage 2 fire restriction. The long range shots are whatever I decide.

To the op good luck with your endeavor!

I'm lucky to have a good friend and neighbor that has a few dedicated shooting lanes set up on his land. The 15-100 yard range has steel set up for pistol and wood back drops for sighting in. Also that's where we shoot clay. If you turn 90 degrees north your set up for 200-1100 yards on steel targets (or paper if you set it up) all safe shooting lanes and 10 min from home. God has blessed me with my shooting.

• Like 2

I'm lucky to have a good friend and neighbor that has a few dedicated shooting lanes set up on his land. The 15-100 yard range has steel set up for pistol and wood back drops for sighting in. Also that's where we shoot clay. If you turn 90 degrees north your set up for 200-1100 yards on steel targets (or paper if you set it up) all safe shooting lanes and 10 min from home. God has blessed me with my shooting.

Lucky S.O.B. :)

Phx rod and gun club by south mountain rocks! Best range masters anywhere! I also like the casa grande range however I don't like Ben avery or Usert mnt, both of them are run by guys who didn't get hugs as children.

Elkiny

• Like 1

I am looking at southern Arizona :)

That's the best range there is. You can shoot mules as far as you can see! Plus, your doing the country a favor!

• Like 1