Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander79

New Years Day Buck

Was able to harvest my biggest buck to date ,and first with a bow, yesterday afternoon. Will write story tomorrow.post-4190-0-39832500-1420252329_thumb.jpgpost-4190-0-02553400-1420252254_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

First one of many with a bow I hope ...first one is always the hardest...way to go!!

Great looking buck, congrats.

Thursday started off with us in a spot with many deer but after baying hounds messed up our morning plans we decided to move to another spot. When we got to the other spot we ended up running into a friend of my brothers who was on some deer. We decided to all swing wide and the 3 of us kind of surrounded the herd, with us coming in each with a couple hundred yards of the deer. The deer were kind of staying in a general spot feeding, bedding, and bucks raking. My brother signaled me to go slow that there were 2 does real close to me. I ended up seeing one of the does ears moving as she fed around some big patches of prickly pear, as I watched I then noticed my soon to be buck down in the bottom of the draw raking the heck out of a cedar. He then disappeared for a few minutes and the next he was heading up to me going through some mesquites and cactus patches. I ranged a patch a head of him 32 yards but when he got there he didn’t stop walking through the 5' clearing. He moved parallel to me and stopped and was looking at me through a small mesquite trying to figure out what was going on. We starred at each other for a few with me crouching down, knees shaking, and heart beating out of my chest. He then must of figured something wasn’t right and turned started walking back to the clearing I drew back and as he reached the clearing walking and quartering away I let the arrow fly. I hit a little bit back but it did the job. He ran down the draw and around the side of the hill. I got on his trail and found good blood immediately and we ended up finding him expired under a juniper.

I learned if u keep the wind in your face, move slow and quite, get with in 150 yards and sit tight during the RUT they might just come to you.

Thanks brother John, Mark, Justin, and Charles for all the help in harvesting and recovering this buck.

• Like 2