Sign in to follow this  
creed

Valid license at application deadline

I think there is some confusion with the way the license structure is going to affect the draw. On page 8 of the regs under qualifications" it says

""An applicant must possess a license (including
lifetime, pioneer or disabled veteran’s)
that is valid on the last day of the application
deadline for that draw. Youth applying for
big game hunts must be licensed. If an applicant
does not have a license that meets
that requirement, he or she must purchase
the license at the time of application."

So you can apply with a valid license but if it becomes invalid by the deadline aren't you going to be screwed? Don't you have to purchase another license? That's the way I read this but have been told I am wrong.

It just needs to be valid (not expired) when the application gets looked at by the computer at the time of the draw when you are assigned a tag. So if the draw is say on 3/10/15 and your license expires on 3/11/15 you will be ok but you need to get a new license before your hunt begins.

It says "last day of the application deadline for the draw" so I read it as it must be good up until 2/10 because that is when the deadline is for the applications

• Like 2

I read that the same way Coues Assassin. I think there are going to be some unhappy people come draw time. My ex wife had a valid license when she applied but the license will have expired by the application deadline. She would have been disqualified even though the computer recognized her as having a current license when she applied. She went ahead and bought another with a future start date to make sure she was good.

I don't know. It's confusing to me but I have a lifetime license so I am not affected by it. Some family and friends will be.

NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!

james

• Like 3

From what I understand , when doing your new license online or going into G&F you can pick the date that the new one goes into effect so there is no overlap. So I am not sure where the issue would be since if yours expires on 2/11 you can buy today and have new one start on ...

and after talking to 2 different offices they both say valid at time of app deadline , not when actual draw takes place ..

The ONLY way you can use one license for two app periods is if you bought your license on Feb 11 last year, or, if starting this year, buying on Feb 10. The only financial benefit is if you are applying "points only", as you need a valid license to hunt.

You can buy a 2015 license with a current starting date, regardless of the 2014 ending date, and the system will use the 2015 license from what I have been told.

The one "flaw" if there is one, is that the system doesn't notify the applicant that their license will expire prior to the draw close.

As Creed mentioned, some unhappy campers come draw results day.

Also, the draw system should run flawlessly this year with updated code and servers that have been tested extensively.

The ONLY way you can use one license for two app periods is if you bought your license on Feb 11 last year, or, starting this year, buying on Feb 10. The only benefit is if you are applying "points only", as you need a valid license to hunt.

You can buy a 2015 license with a current starting date, regardless of the 2014 ending date, and the system will use the 2015 license from what I have been told.

The one "flaw" if there is one, is that the system doesn't notify the applicant that their license will expire prior to the draw close.

Also, the draw system should run flawlessly this year with updated code and servers that have been tested extensively.

bought my license last year on Jan 1st... used same license for elk draw deer draw and spring javi.

drew a javi tag with my license that won't be valid (but was valid thru draw cycle) and bought my current license december 31 s tish

that's all 3 draw cycles.

James

real scenario today, putting my family in on-line.

put my wife in, her license number is populated already on-line, cannot change it, complete the app... then get to thinking, her license is expired.

call game and fish, "yes there is an issue", what do I do, "suggest purchasing a license making it active today" but I don't see where to update license only... I only see update payment info... "don't worry it will link up"....Okay....

The ONLY way you can use one license for two app periods is if you bought your license on Feb 11 last year, or, starting this year, buying on Feb 10. The only benefit is if you are applying "points only", as you need a valid license to hunt.

bought my license last year on Jan 1st... used same license for elk draw deer draw and spring javi.

drew a javi tag with my license that won't be valid (but was valid thru draw cycle) and bought my current license december 31 s tish

that's all 3 draw cycles.

James

You could do the same thing if bought any day in the year. The difference between the 365 and previous license is the customer can now choose a more opportune time to purchase.

The guys trying to apply for the same species for two years on one license have no leeway and no financial benefit unless it's for points.

I read that the same way Coues Assassin. I think there are going to be some unhappy people come draw time. My ex wife had a valid license when she applied but the license will have expired by the application deadline. She would have been disqualified even though the computer recognized her as having a current license when she applied. She went ahead and bought another with a future start date to make sure she was good.

I don't know. It's confusing to me but I have a lifetime license so I am not affected by it. Some family and friends will be.

and if you screw it up, they keep your app fee.

cha ching

I buy my license Jan 1st every year & have no issues with the draw. I used my 2014 license to apply for spring javelina bought my license for 2015 online in December with valid date of jan 1st 2015

• Like 1