TREESTANDMAN

TRAIL CAMERAS ARE ILLEGAL!!!!

Forest service officers sound as bad as some of those rent-a-cops. Power trips are their daily vacation from reality. When they are off duty, they probably spend ALL their free time at trekkie conventions.

guess i just haven't ran across the good guys yet. i've never been around a treepig that didn't want everyone to know that he was in "authority". same goes for most cops of all breeds. i just like to be in the woods. i don't do stupid stuff, and i respect the land. but nearly every time i've ever had to interact with any person with a badge, it seems like they go out of their way to make you uncomfortable and look for some technicality to hassle you over. doesn't matter if you're hunting, fishing, camping or just driving down the road. to me, intent to break the law is the key. if someone does something accidently or through ignorance, give em a break. explain things to em and send em down the road with minimal damage to the guy's ego. if a guy has to get cited, fine, but show some respect for the person and his position. cops never do that. they want the guy to feel bad about himself and want him to have a bad day. i've had cops lie to me. i've had cops lie about me. sorry if i have a jaded outlook to badgepackers, all of em, but that's the way it is. there are real bad guys, everywhere. but it seems that cops are afraid of them and only want to pick on those that will let them and won't put up much of a fuss. guess i could say i'm sorry if i offended anyone, but i really don't care.

Edited by .270

.270- sorry about your negative run-ins with the law. Hope I can meet you in the field sometime-I'll help you glass, heck, I'll even pack your deer out for you. We aren't all bad and yes, I chase real bad guys, doing real bad things. Some types of LEO's sole job is to enforce Forest service laws or game laws. Most of these folks that I have run into have been professional, courteous and helpful, and they didn't know that I am a LEO. I hope your luck changes with the LEO's. Remember- it may not be fair, but you get what you radiate. If they are jerks, be professional, if you feel you are being wronged, find out who their supervisor is and write complaints. Good luck

Trufletch

Most of my experiences w/ police officers/game officers have been bad ones also. It seems like being a prick is a qualification to becoming a law enforcement officer. I have however encountered a few good LEO's that gave me the benefit of the doubt and seemed to be good humble guys trying enforce the law w/out going on a power trip. I had a fish and game officer one time give me some pointers about where the bucks hung out in one area and that helped my opionion of the F&G.

I have to add to this in a positive light, though I have ran into the same problems you guys have with the average jerk I have twice ran into game officers that have been more than helpful.

About ten years or so ago I went to Alamo lake with a big group of people (family), we were all together and somebody says lets go fishing, we all get our boats and take off, now I had a very old boat and the trailer wasn't much newer, and on top of that I hadn't tagged the trailer yet that year, I go anyways, when we get there and I'm getting ready to launch the boat I notice a shackle bracket on my trailer had almost broke and and the axle was about to break loose, well here comes the game rangers, one asked what was going on and I showed him my trailer, he tells me to launch my boat and pull the trailer up to their shop and leave it, he said for me to pick it up when we get done for the day and they would have it fixed, I spent the day on the lake and when I went to pick it up they had welded the bracket back on and gussetted it and they had did the other side as well. They didn't ask for anything and told us they just wanted to help out. I sent a letter to azgfd thanking them, I hope they didn't get in trouble, I DIDN'T MENTION THE EXPIRED TAG ON THE TRAILER, but I know those rangers couldn't have missed it.

About three years ago I had a rifle javalina tag, about five days before the hunt I tore a hamstring, my backside was black and blue from my lower back to my ankle, I couldn't walk hardly at all, but I decide to go hunting, I was driving the roads and would stop and glass in spots, I had my brother with me to help out, I was stopped by a game warden to check my tag, he tells me its illegal to road hunt, I say I know but I can't really walk and I was pretty much not expecting to get anything anyways, i just wasn't going to waste a planned trip, he asked why I couldn't walk and I tell him, he says your kidding right, so I pulled my pant leg up to my knee, he at that point started telling me the best places to glass from the road and where else I might try even though it was raining off and on and they weren't moving around much. I didn't get one that year.

Just a couple of times I have been helped out by game wardens, though it sure isn't normally the case.

When I was 16 I got my truck stuck at Lake Pleasant and had two park officers tell me they couldn't pull me out with their new Blazers with winches and they couldn't give me a ride to the ranger station, that was in 86 before the new Lake Pleasant, I was in the very back of the lake on a weekday, I had to walk to the old ranger station by the lower lake and call my Dad to come and pull me out.

Theres good and bad in all professions, but one bad one can ruin it for the rest, because I am still ticked off thinking about that one.

I like what Truefletch is saying about official complaints when these public servants cross the line. This is accountability.

Other than that, the job that these peace officers do to uphold our laws are infinately more important than our personal feelings.

Mike

I had one of Pima County's finest tail me for about 6 miles this morning, couldn't even see his headlights he was so close. I guess he saw a guy with a camo hat on, driving a big, loud bronco at 3:00am and assumed I was up to no-good.

I have to say that I have never had any bad experiences with Game & Fish LEO's. Every one I have delt with has been polite and even helpful. (if any Game & Fish LEO's are reading this I would really like to have an archery bull tag in unit 1 next year!) :D

I received a local OHV club newsletter yesterday and this was in it and kind of pertains to this thread and the AGFD meeting thread.

The article originated out of a National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council newsletter, author unknown:

People Relations 101

(Land managers are people too)

People are people regardless of the uniform they wear or the job they are hired to do. The way people are spoken to, written about, and treated affect how they work. While job description and law may specify what an employee is required to do, they do not guarantee an employee?s enthusiasm or willingness to go that extra mile. ?Please?, ?how? can I help?, and ?thank you? are great tools for getting what you need when you need it, and keeping working relationships positive

Whether spoken or written, communication is often spread beyond your intended audience. An activity flyer can show up in a lawsuit, on your local recreation officer?s desk, or in the office of an elected official. Always consider; can what you put in print come back and bite you? A humorous cartoon to club members may be offensive to your local land manager. How receptive will a recreation planner be to your proposed new trail project when your previous club newsletter ridiculed them or their agency?

When communicating by written work always consider:

? Does the content convey the level of professionalism that you want to be recognized for?

? Does the content jeopardize any future working relationship?

? Does the content clearly and honestly represent your actions?

Treestandman - I have a little advice for you. Stop calling people. Just wait until the roads are open and go get your camera. I do my best to not contact anyone that write me a citation of any sort.

I knew one guy that wanted to comply with OSHA. He called them up and asked if he could find out the regulations. Over $100K later he was up to code and trying to keep them out of his shop. I know that sounds kind of funny but it is a true story. Stay off of their radar and you will be happier.

If you really want a citation then keep calling them. Give them the location of the camera and your home address. I'm sure they can mail you the citation.

Later,

recurveman

Recurveman,

The issue has been resolved. I appreciate your great wisdom though. The Ranger who threatend me has been centured and embarrased for his unecessary threatenings. I am glad this has happend.

I personally know a district ranger for the forest service that is an avid hunter (I won't mention a name of course) and sets up trail cameras on his forest. How about that!

Turn him in!!!

Brain did you say "his forest"? All them circus workers think that it's their forest and not the public's. That's why they want you to pay a daily or yearly fee just to enjoy a day out on public land. Ooops, my motor gets running talking about fees just to see the forests. That same thinking of the district ranger goes along with AZG&F, it's their animals and not the public's. OK, I'm stopping now.

Josh

Turn them in too!