Crotklauberi

Rattlesnakes

It honestly takes a lot of observation. There are differences in the physical aspects of the sexes. Males have a longer thicker tail (the base of the rattle to the vent) and wider heads and as adults are typically noticeably larger than females. In some species the males are more brightly colored. An easy one on commonly encountered Western Diamondbacks and Mojaves is that males typically have 3 or more black bands (typically 4) on the tail. Females usually have 3 or less. (Commonly 2).

I generally look for the boobs...........BOB!

Of course Bob , if they give live birth they must have "boobs" , thats what I always thought. Guess not, that must just be mammels. ;)

Cool pics and great info. I guess I didn't realize there were that many different kinds of rattlesnakes. I'm not a fan of them. My dog is rattlesnake trained so we know where to stay away from. I like skinning the pretty bastards.

Great pics! I love seeing snakes evan though they scare the crap out of me sometimes.

• Like 1

Great thread CrotKlauberi! When I was younger I had a huge interest in rattlesnakes but after getting bit by a Sidewinder I've since curbed my enthusiasm and try to keep my distance now. I was given antivenin for the bite so the fear of antivenin not working if bitten again has me super cautious nowadays! Photographing them was my favorite part and still is when I come across one. I'll try to add some pics here when I can. That 3rd pic down of the Speckled is amazing! I never realized rattlesnakes were habitual to anything outside a traditional denning site, was that bush near a site and you were finding it around the same time annually?

That's an awesome variety of snakes you've seen there 520hunt, thanks for sharing! JIM>

• Like 1

Growing up in New Mexico we didn't have much to do, so my best friend and I had a huge snake collection. After a few years we started catching rattlers. We used to sell them to the roundup, but we didn't agree with the way they treated them so we quit. Every Easter we would go out and get a sack full to cook up with dinner. It always seemed strange to us that they would always come out on Easter. No matter what. As I got older, and slower, the catching stopped to taking pictures and just watching them. The coolest experience was watching a pair get it on. Its definitely a site to see.

• Like 5

Wow, another outstanding post! Thanks for sharing all the pictures and stories. Reptiles are absolutely amazing. The more we learn about them the less likely we are to abuse them. Thanks again for this informative post.

Ernest

• Like 2

Great pics and post but after almost getting nailed out quail hunting in the beginning of December with about zero warning I will never be the same.

• Like 2