Crotklauberi

Rattlesnakes

Love the pictures of the snakes. I have seen five different species of rattlers here in AZ since I moved here a long time ago and have probably caught and killed a half dozen or so, two by pinning the head down and picking them up.

The largest I found in the parking lot overlook by Canyon Lake one summer night just after a rainstorm. He was a good five footer and moving slow so I grabbed it by the tail and carried it off into the bushes to let it go.

I have only seen one that was agressive and it was in the Garden Of The Gods in Colorado, a Western Diamond Back if I remember correctly. I grew up catching Garter Snakes and their feisty cousins the Ribbon Snakes back east and kept a few as pets as a kid until my Dad got me a Florida Indigo Snake from a mail order place in the mid 60's.

We also had a Corn Snake and Red Tail Boa for my son and daughter when they were kids. Don't listen to Adam, SNAKES ARE COOL!

It's official! Your CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Humans create such great habitat for wildlife, our houses offer shelter and permanent water which attracts birds and rodents which in turn attract snakes.

I'm sure most of you have seen a hieroglyphic depicting a coiled up snake. This of course is a rattlesnake as they are the only type that spends anytime on the surface in this posture. Native artwork never depicts the snake in an aggressive or threatening way, there is a reason for that. Western culture has sadly vilified them and blown them out of proportion in such a Hollywood way. Our interpretation of their behavior is often misleading and we have been taught that. What is truly defensive is interpreted as aggressive. A human approaching a snake would be like and elephant coming at you, except you can out walk a snake!

Common defensive posture

10447914024_91c2bcf711_z.jpg

I just pooped myself when I saw this photo! SCARRRRRRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Love the pictures of the snakes. I have seen five different species of rattlers here in AZ since I moved here a long time ago and have probably caught and killed a half dozen or so, two by pinning the head down and picking them up.

The largest I found in the parking lot overlook by Canyon Lake one summer night just after a rainstorm. He was a good five footer and moving slow so I grabbed it by the tail and carried it off into the bushes to let it go.

I have only seen one that was agressive and it was in the Garden Of The Gods in Colorado, a Western Diamond Back if I remember correctly. I grew up catching Garter Snakes and their feisty cousins the Ribbon Snakes back east and kept a few as pets as a kid until my Dad got me a Florida Indigo Snake from a mail order place in the mid 60's.

We also had a Corn Snake and Red Tail Boa for my son and daughter when they were kids. Don't listen to Adam, SNAKES ARE COOL!

It's official! Your CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is only one way to get over your fear of snakes.

Move to Ireland. LOL

• Like 2

Had one curled up on the steps by my front door. A couple pellets from the air gun sent it to the happy hunting grounds.

Dogs...Kids...and Snakes..in the same area is not a good thing.

• Like 1

Ireland is not a bad choice! Great beer and whisky. Friendliest people in the world. And NO snakes! Only drawback is NO Mexican food. Have to gut it out here snakes and all.

• Like 2

Ireland is not a bad choice! Great beer and whisky. Friendliest people in the world. And NO snakes! Only drawback is NO Mexican food. Have to gut it out here snakes and all.

Ireland has Haggis and Blood pudding :lol:

• Like 1

I purchased a lot in Payson thinking I will retire there someday.

I walked the lot twice last year and saw black rattlesnakes both times.

I can only hope it does not turn out like Crotklauberis house

Below is a juvenile black

post-5113-0-15461600-1423184549_thumb.jpg.

• Like 2

i'm sorry but i hate rattlesnakes. My elderly uncle got bit by a mohave in his driveway, not knowing it was there...no rattle or nothing, just BAM. After 1 week in ICU then he comes home. He's brushing his teeth in morning and out of nowhere he gets sick again from it and goes back into the hospital. I hate snakes...

Sorry to hear about your uncle Adicted. What happened to him is not an uncommon occurrence with the current antivenom protocols. Antivenom is made from antibodies produced by sheep or horse that have been exposed to venom. The product is refined and purified, then ready for infusion into a patient when needed. The antivenom works so long as it stays attached to the venom. In most cases there is a rebound effect when, after a few days post therapy the antivenom falls off the venom and free venom begins to circulate causing bleeding as if you have been bitten again. Long story short, being envenomated has long term effects and should be monitored for an extended period of time, usually several weeks. One and done is not the rule for treatment. Then there's the muscle damage and pain and blah blah blah ... It's a really big deal to be envenomated. Be careful out there watch where you step, place your hands and sit down. We live in a beautiful but potentially dangerous land enjoy it and stay safe.

Ernest

• Like 1

Great pic of the little black! And that lep is awesome!

Thats not my house, those are just houses around the phoenix metro area that I removed animals from!!!

Awesome pictures. I love snakes (but definitely don't want to get bit while in the back country, or anyplace for that matter)

Gopher snake that we got to handle and was very docile

post-6185-0-49904000-1423203322_thumb.jpg

Diamondbacks

post-6185-0-34965900-1423203331_thumb.jpg

post-6185-0-67101000-1423203347_thumb.jpg

Mahave

post-6185-0-18944900-1423203340_thumb.jpg

post-6185-0-17241900-1423203511_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

What kind of snake is this? I had assumed it was an AZ Black but it's not a juvenile so I don't understand why it would still have that coloration. I've found smaller Blacks that were already completely dark colored before and have only seen really small juveniles with coloration like this. The snake was north of Globe around 4,000 ft and around 2 1/2 foot long. I had been sitting within a couple feet of it for a long time while glassing, only when I got up to pack up did I notice it, was close enough I was surprised I never set the tripod leg on it! Thanks, JIM>

image_4_zps5d8aa027.jpeg

image_3_zps2f63070e.jpeg

• Like 1