tomkat12

12x50 & 20x56 glassing setup thoughts??

So after some focusing issues I swore I'd try and and stay away from Vortex products but I recently had a conversion with a gentleman that had an optics combo I'd not yet thought of. He's running Razor 12x50 as his neck binos and for early morning & late evening glassing and then switching to the 20x Kaibabs during the day and loves them. He feels the extra 5x of magnification makes up for optical quality of the Vortex vs 15x Swaros.... What's your guys thoughts on this setup?

I think he was just meaning that for him even though the swaros are optically superior (& it certainly appeared he could have afforded 15x swaros) he preferred the extra magnification during the day. I think the basic logic was that since he was taking advantage of the superior light gathering abilities of 12x50's at first or last light anyways that he felt the vortex 20x compared favorably to the 15x Swaro and in those conditions he preferred the 20x vortex

I've never looked through the 20x kaibabs, but like all vortex products, but I feel like going up in power to overcome a lack of clarity is kind of a step in the wrong direction.

• Like 1

Hmmm... I think my description might be taking this in the wrong direction I'm not too interested in comparing the quality of optics. Lets suppose Swaro sold 20x56 binos do you think a set of 12x50 & 20x56 would be a better set up then a set of 10x42 and 15x56?

Yes, I follow what you are asking. I have a pair of Kiabab 20x56 I'm trying to sell right now but it is not a lack of quality for the reason I am getting rid of them (my eyes are to close together to be able to use them for the purpose of the design, and my deep freeze went out so I need a new one :(). Due to this problem I use 10x42 around my neck, viper hd 15x50 on my tripod and then a spotting scope for determining the quality of animal I am looking at. I bought the 20's for the same intent you are asking about and they are awesome, the hope was to be able to eliminate my spotting scope on some of my hikes when it wouldn't be needed. I have sold several pair to some of the guides up here on the strip and they find them very useful and well worth the money and they use them in the same way you are describing. It is really nice to be able to use both eyes for glassing when you are looking a mile + and can tell if it an animal is worth taking a closer look at.

If you looking to order some give me a call or send me an email.

Kory Bundy

aflguides@gmail.com

435-668-8063

A couple of my freinds have the steiner 20x 80 and they are very nice glass and not too heavy they are bulky though.

Seems like 20s would be tough to keep steady even on s tripod. Maybe I'm wrong.

I think he was just meaning that for him even though the swaros are optically superior (& it certainly appeared he could have afforded 15x swaros) he preferred the extra magnification during the day. I think the basic logic was that since he was taking advantage of the superior light gathering abilities of 12x50's at first or last light anyways that he felt the vortex 20x compared favorably to the 15x Swaro and in those conditions he preferred the 20x vortex

Heat waves in the middle of the day are tough for any glass. I don't think the vortex in any power will compare to swaro optics but many times i can't really even

use my swaro's when there are heatwaves.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think if I went this route I'd probably rent them for the weekend and try them out first

A little late but I think a 12x and 20x would be a killer combo if your willing to carry two sets of glass. If you plan on using the 12s around your neck you definitely want to try it before you buy it. If you can steadily hand hold the 12s then they would be an awesome around the neck bino. Unfortunately I can't even hand hold 10s steady enough so I prefer 8s as my go to around the neck glass.

It's never too late. I think the 12x50 are a done deal I'll probably order them this week but I think I'll get with Ross outdoors about renting the 20x for the weekend before I pop for those though.