CouesWhitetail

Women's Javelina Hunting Camp 2015 - An Amazing Experience!

I had a great time. Everyone was very gracious to provide us a sleeping area that had electric for our cpap. The food was great! and the mini classes in the evening were fantastic. Even though I didn't harvest anything I had a great time.

Special thanks to Amanda and Jack Wheat. I cannot express how grateful we are for your help and concern.

Thank you to the couple who donated the prizes. It was very unexpected and I am very grateful. I wish I could sent all of you special thank you cards, but I don't have addresses so this will have to do. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!

Jan Nash

• Like 8

I can't say enough good things about this outdoor experience that Amanda has put together for women who want to learn how to hunt. This wouldn't be the success it has been without the help of azgfd and all the volunteers like mentors, camp cooks, and donations from so many people who has made this one of the countries most talked about hunting camps. Peg and I have had the pleasure of helping out all 5 years and it just keeps getting better. Here are a few pictures from my camera.

post-1903-0-47284000-1424219985_thumb.jpg

Hope with her big male pig

post-1903-0-78778800-1424220586_thumb.jpg

Mentor Deb with Hope and her awesome pig.

post-1903-0-22619200-1424220622_thumb.jpg

Rhonda and Deb glassing for pigs.

post-1903-0-21748900-1424220754_thumb.jpg

I had the pleasure of hunting with Deb, mentor, and Rhonda, student hunter, There isn't enough time for me to mention how much fun I had with both of these women. It was a pleasure to spend the day with these two and thanks for all the laughs.

post-1903-0-27180000-1424221425_thumb.jpg

Rhonda told me she wanted to learn how to hunt in case she ever needed to support her family in need. She hasn't killed yet but I will tell you she has what it takes and I would welcome her in any of my camps anytime. What a please it was to spend a couple days in the field with her.

post-1903-0-25540400-1424221659_thumb.jpg

Little Debbie might be what they call her but I'm here to tell you she is big time when it comes to glassing up critters. I can't express enough the knowledge this lady has in reading the lay of the land and how to put together a game plan using the wind, sun, and just her natural ability.

post-1903-0-19678800-1424220798_thumb.jpg

I kept stopping so the women could catch their breath but actually it was for me. Got to loose some weight here in the future. lol

• Like 9

Looks like a successful camp! Great pictures and kudos to all the mentors. it appears those ladies are hooked for life,

• Like 2

In addition to this awesome hunting camp this year I personally liked the presentations that Tice Supplee put together on the behavior and hunting of the javelina along with Bill Deshaw's first hand knowledge of making javelina sausage. Both were an added feature that I would like to see each year. Thank you both Tice and Bill. :)

TJ

• Like 6

I love mentoring at this event. I like the food, the camaraderiee, the meeting of new people, the camping, being outdoors, the teaching and the learning and of course my love-the hunting. Many many thanks to everyone who help make this event possible. I already can't wait till next year's.

• Like 2

Great job. Looks like a beautiful place for a great event. I use to pu on Women in the outdoors events in CA. Great to see more and more women getting out in the field.

On a side note, a Jack Rabbit was my only harvest on my Javelina hunt too. I deboned it and put it in the crockpot with green chilis and a few other ingredients. It was delicious in burritos with black beans, rice, cheese and salsa. You get a lot of meat off of a Jack.

• Like 2

In addition to this awesome hunting camp this year I personally liked the presentations that Tice Supplee put together on the behavior and hunting of the javelina along with Bill Deshaw's first hand knowledge of making javelina sausage. Both were an added feature that I would like to see each year. Thank you both Tice and Bill. :)

TJ

TJ,

If Tice or Bill can't make next year then they should have you stand in for either one. I've seen the pictures of your sausage making and we ALL know your prowess at getting the pigs!

• Like 3

Congratulations to all involved and thank you to everyone who donated their time to make it happen, sounds like a great event.

• Like 1

Great to see all these pictures. I'm reliving this wonderful event. Even those of us who didn't bring home a Javelina have terrific memories of time well spent. The early morning rising sun bathing Baboquivari in gold is a sight to behold. Not even seeing the allusive Javelina could be dissappointing, however, other wildlife kept my attention, i.e.: coyotes, Antelope Jack Rabbits, Coues Whitetail Deer, Chipmunks, Hawks, Ravens, Owls, and then suddenly, I see a horizontal line and two fore legs.... I know it is a Javelina, but after convincing myself of hundreds of rocks being a Jave, I didn't trust my eyes and mind. He turned to look at me and with that the bushes came alive and started moving... four more Javelina were trotting away from me. I'll never forget those moments.

This camp is like a well oiled machine.... volunteers helped to set up the dining area. Cooks create scrumptious meals - imagine having Shish-ka-bob for 80 people? Breakfast at 6 a.m. and the coffee was hot! Lunch food to fix if you didn't want to come back to camp at noon. Hamburgers and Hot Dogs for lunch if you came back to camp. All the drinks provided. What a team out there making sure your needs are met.

Your skills and abilities and special needs are all taken into consideration and an appropriate mentor assigned to you. These guys/gals that are mentors work very hard to make sure you are comfortable and take your personal abilities into consideration when they take you out for the hunt. They each have so much to offer and are so willing to make your hunt successful, to teach skills, and they provide your transportation to your hunt site and are with you the whole time. What ever your needs are they try very hard to be accommodating. Quite a group of people who are talented and care.

I, too, so enjoyed the presentation by Tice. I really feel like I know the Javelina's habitat and way of life now. Bill showed us how to make sausage too. Now that we have a sausage grinder, all I need is a Javelina! Next year can't come soon enough. :) .

It was so fun hearing women giggle. Women from all walks of life and work orientations enjoyed this event. A great mix! For anyone who is thinking about doing this hunt for the first time and feel unsure, don't be. Come on out. Young or middle age or white haired like me... Go for it.... you won't be sorry!

Thanks, Amanda, for all you do. Kudos to everyone who worked on this event. Congrats to those six women who took home a Javelina. I'm so happy for you. I can only imagine how this will play over and over in your minds. You did awesome. To those of us who took home memories or a Jack Rabbit - - - it's still do-able next year! .

• Like 8

don't wait on getting a game animal to try your hand at sausage, I've made it out of pork, beef, chicken & turkey as well as javelina, deer, elk, mt. lion, buffalo, quail and dove. If it's made of meat you can grind it up and make it into sausage, it's all about the spices in the meat.

Bruce Aidell's Complete Sausage Book is my bible, follow the instructions the first time then start adding your own flair to it.

• Like 3

Thank you so much to Amanda, all the mentors (especially Bill, my mentor), cooks, sponsors and volunteers that made this such a great weekend. Your efforts and support are truly appreciated by all the women who come to learn. Its just wonderful to see so many women

get so excited about hunting.

I learned so much about javelinas and hunting in general over the weekend. It was an awesome experience. I didn't get a javelina this year so guess I need to come back next year to try again. ;-)

• Like 3

WOW! What an experience. I have to admit after talking to Amanda on the phone, and trying to get my out of state license I was wondering if this was something that I really wanted to take on. I am so glad I did.

Amanda took good care of me and had all the information I needed to make this adventure an adventure of a lifetime. She introduced me to Jerry and Larissa and put me in their hands. At first I was really concerned if I could keep up with the two "Billy Goats" that climbed mountains (not hills) like they didn't exist. But these two let me do it at my pace and the just kept an eye on me to help me get where we were going.

I didn't get a pig until the second day, but OMG what a day. I climbed a mountain that I never would have climbed under any other circumstances. Jerry kept asking me are you sure you want to do this? I just said I will be there slow and steady and he stayed with me til we made it to the top where Larissa was sitting on a rock at the top of the world glassing for Javelina. She told Jerry the Jav were on the next ridge and once again Jerry asked me "They are over there do you want to go get them? I just kept telling him and myself slow and steady.

We reached the next ridge and sure enough we got into several Jav. To bad I missed the shot, but Larissa was still on her rock telling Jerry there were more and we just kept trying to get the right shot. Jerry was so patient............I am sure he was a little frustrated about the shots he kept setting up for me and I kept telling him I can't see them. I do only stand 5 foot to his 6 foot so he just kept moving.

Finally, he asked about this shot down the hill, I said "no problem" and a cloud of smoke later I had my first Javelina. Jerry laughed and said " I guess we had better get Larissa to come over and help get the Jav back up the hill. I don't think he wanted to carry me out also.

This trip, took me to another level of confidence in myself and others. It has built friendships and given me a new hobby in my life. I am definitely going to try to get in on next years event. If a person wants to learn about hunting, confidence, and teamwork this event is the place to do it. Everyone is helpful, supportive, educational, and is there to support women in learning how to hunt safely.

Thanks to all I never have felt this kind of accomplishment before in my life!!!

Dottie

• Like 8

Interesting comment on the mountain lion. A buddy and I hunted the hills east of BANWR one afternoon and had a close encounter with mountain lions. We had split, with my friend going up onto a hill just north of my designated hunt station, when just after reaching my firing point, I heard four snarls on the trail below, followed by a response by another assumed mountain lion on the north hill. I spotted a full sized mountain lion about 100 yards behind my buddy who was now heading northbound. I was finally able to get my friend off the hill he was on and we left the area when nearly dark. I understand that some mountain lions were 'culled' already and that hunters were in the process of 'removing' a couple more in that area. For those hunting that area it would be wise to exercise caution in some of those canyons. The BANWR office mentioned that a staff member had seen an adult mountain lion drinking from one of the headquarter's tanks.

• Like 1