Sign in to follow this  
mbiewer

Parker Canyon Lake

So in an attempt to barter for time... I took the girlfriend down to Bisbee for our anniversary. One weekend for her, then the next weekend was HAM Javelina with the fellas (see where the barter part came in?).

Anyways, we had the simple overnight trip planned out. Hit some of the wineries (her thing, although I can't say I didn't have a blast too) of Sonoita, take the scenic way to Bisbee, walk around and come back the next day.

Well, i'm not one for details. Like highway 82 takes you to Siera Vista (then connects to the road that goes to Bisbee).... or that highway 83 (right next to 82, and parallel for a brief moment) does not. ha ha. Our scenic drive got a lot more scenic. No, she wasn't pissed. lol. We both had a lot of fun checking out area either of us hadn't been to before. Highway 83 does in fact take you somewhere, to parker canyon lake.

Has anyone ever been here? their Facebook page shows some humungous catfish and bass being pulled out of there. G&F fish stocks it in the winter and it sits about 5,000 feet. Was thinking about "getting lost" again down there. Looks like a nice place to get the kayaks wet and maybe catch a fish or two. Was wondering what some people had for luck there, or anything to say about the lake. (kinda trust the community here on cwt than the reviews of "it didn't even have a resturaunt" I read online lol)

Thanks,

Matty

Its a great lake for kayaking, the fishing there is always fair to good. Not too long ago a friend pulled a 4lb bass out of the lake. The trout fishing is still good, use power bait if you want to catch a bunch in medium depth water. Trolling always worked good but difficult to catch a limit. Its a high desert lake with plenty of fun things to do. Hope you go and enjoy! We killed it there this past winter fishing for trout.

In June/July Parker is one of the best places to go fly fishing for bluegill/red ear and green sunfish, given its a small lake and easy to use a float tube there.

• Like 1

No deer, no bass, no fishing, nothing to see there. go some place else. :lol:

• Like 2

I used to fish there quite often. Haven't been in awhile. There are some good trout holes out there if you have a kayak. Due west of the dock. good spots to troll around with small lures, or drift bait.

Are there camping areas at Parker Canyon Lake also? I was thinking of taking my son on a camping/fishing weekend getaway. Was thinking of Patagonia but have heard it might as well be Tiajuana there on the weekends.......

Dry camping but yes camping and I would imagine it might be like tijuana but not sure but Patagonia is that way and getting worse.

Parker canyon lake has a web site, should be able to get info there.

Camp sites at Parker just like other lakes. Some Forrest camping too but not close to the lake. There Ida small community that lives there so be mindful of their property. Store, dock, and boat launch. Just like most other lakes. Steep hike to the water from camp spots but exercise is good right? Fishing has always been ok. Caught more channel cat than anything there. I believe a state record of sorts came out of that lake too.

I caught some nice pike out of there a few years back.

I wondered why the Pike hadn't been thrown down yet. Never managed to catch one but that was my goal the last time I went, wow been 14 years now...

Parker canyon is a hidden jewel. I just wish it was closer.

Wow, see... squeaky wheel gets the grease. glad I asked. Thanks for all the information.

the Parker canyon lake website has camping spots for 10/night. (45 for the group site). They had 3 state records pulled from there (two versions of catfish, and a sunfish record). But their fb site for the marina raises more questions. They have pictures of some lunkers! 30" 17# channel cats. and some big bass. (maybe it's photo shopped since "there aint no fish here" lol).... but the captions on the facebook photos said they released the fish back in the water. I know Patagonia lake has issues being close to the mine and if memory serves me right, youre not allowed to eat the fish from Patagonia lake. Is it the same for Parker?

Also, what are the summer temps there? The girlfriend said she has an upcoming 3 day weekend.... and wants to take a trip. My first thought was "camping, kayaks, fishing poles.... load up!"... but then she mentioned some place called las vegas? do they have fishing there?!?! jk. A nice long weekend, don't really wanna go out of my way to spend it around even more people.

thanks for the info everyone