joelpresmyk8

BIGGEST pig you've seen? (Pics)

I think I have done worse! This pig was at 35 yards and looked normal sized to me, oops! Nice shot on your pig!!! I had a mile hike back and carried this pig like a duffle bag in my hand.

zsdfasd.jpg

• Like 1

You guys must be talking live weight, not weights after field dressing. In the mid-1970s, the University of Arizona's wildlife unit and the Arizona Game and Fish Department had weighing stations for several years along all of the major roads leading to Tucson. They weighed literally thousands of gutted javelinas, and determined that the average boar weighed a few pounds less than 40 pounds dressed. Sows were slightly lighter. At about the same time, Jensen's Custom Ammo and George Medina's Sporting Goods held big "pig" contests and gave rifles and other prizes to hunters taking the heaviest javelinas each year. A 42- to 45-pound field-dressed boar won almost every year. The two largest gutted javelinas I photographed for the Tucson Citizen were freaks. One was shot on a farm south of Willcox, the other was killed off a small dump behind the Tucson Rod and Gun Club's gun range in Sabino Canyon. They obviously had been eating well. They also were the only two javelinas that actually weighed more than 50 pounds on certified scales that I heard about in nearly three decades as a reporter "covering" javelina hunts around Tucson.

Bill Quimby

• Like 3

You guys must be talking live weight, not weights after field dressing. In the mid-1970s, the University of Arizona's wildlife unit and the Arizona Game and Fish Department had weighing stations for several years along all of the major roads leading to Tucson. They weighed literally thousands of gutted javelinas, and determined that the average boar weighed a few pounds less than 40 pounds dressed. Sows were slightly lighter. At about the same time, Jensen's Custom Ammo and George Medina's Sporting Goods held big "pig" contests and gave rifles and other prizes to hunters taking the heaviest javelinas each year. A 42- to 45-pound field-dressed boar won almost every year. The two largest gutted javelinas I photographed for the Tucson Citizen were freaks. One was shot on a farm south of Willcox, the other was killed off a small dump behind the Tucson Rod and Gun Club's gun range in Sabino Canyon. They obviously had been eating well. They also were the only two javelinas that actually weighed more than 50 pounds on certified scales that I heard about in nearly three decades as a reporter "covering" javelina hunts around Tucson.Bill Quimby

Your totally right

Remove the entrails, hide, head and lower legs of the typical mature javelina and you'll have only 20-25 pounds of meat and bones ... if you're lucky.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

I'll have to jump in on this one. Yes, a little emabarrassing, but fun to see the boy grow up between the two. Notice that hat didn't change. Fortunately, we have shot 17 other pigs, including some real bruisers.

post-1571-0-27431300-1425065273_thumb.jpg

post-1571-0-71484400-1425065353_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sweet looking rifle and to hit a lil bitty target like that at 360 yards is a job well done. Congrats

thats gonna make 1 sweet burrito! the stinker in my avatar was huge,skull and weight..he was missing a foot so probably didn't move around much,videos him a year earlier after shooting one and he stepped out.Buddy shot one bigger down by Kitt peak..it had a massive skull!

:unsure: Really!

Thank you 6anut I appreciate it!!! Put some work into it and with help from lance on here I got it shooting really good!

Cessna..... Yup really, pics don't lie

• Like 1

That is one sweet shooting rifle to take that javelina at that yardage. Not a big target.

It's a lot better shooting than I can do. I really love it when technology out-trumps

hunting ability.

That is one sweet shooting rifle to take that javelina at that yardage. Not a big target.

It's a lot better shooting than I can do. I really love it when technology out-trumps

hunting ability.

Haha if you go back and read the original post, I'm not looking to be praised as an "awesome" shot or anything. It was a lone pig and I thought he was average. That was the only shot I could get and felt comfortable so I took the shot. I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding your previous post.

Let me re-phrase myself. Sometimes when we do the best we can at stalking an animal, instead of losing a trophy we've worked hard for. We are able to utilize modern technology to harvest that animal cleanly.

Our inability to get closer can be salvaged by our equipment and shooting ability. That is a really good shot on not a large target. The ability you showed in doing the shot cleanly shows your dedication to understanding your equipment well. Again sweet rifle, I would be interested in caliber. Very few hunters I know of could pull that shot off cleanly. I know a lot who say they could, but come up short when the time comes to do it. I do agree with one of the other members, you can probably cut the meat with a fork. I shot a VERY small deer once and it was wonderful tablefare. Again at that yardage and that size target, good shot.

• Like 1